Tow hitch lock

RickA

G`Day one and all hope you all had a great Xmas

First question

What type of van hitch lock do you use ?. I am currently using a ARK trailer hitch but it does not seem to be very secure,in fact I turned the hitch upside down the other day and it fell off!I have tightened it as much as possible but it still does`nt seem very secure.

Q2

Looking for ideas to fit bicycle carrier to rear van bar, between spare tyres.

Photos would be great!! :helpsmilie: .lol

Checking out others ideas whilst travelling down Bunbury Hwy @ 110 ks is frought with danger !! :clown: lol

Cheers

Rick & Lea

Hi Rick & Lea,

Attached are some photos of a hitch lock that I have designed and fabricated myself (the Hyland Helmet). The hitch cannot be rotated and the hitch release mechanism cannot be accessed with the lock in place.

I have extended a normal tow ball lock pin as the locking device and it has the same key as my tow ball lock.

Regards

post-186-1262587641_thumb.jpg

post-186-1262587699_thumb.jpg

post-186-1262587727_thumb.jpg

post-186-1262588020_thumb.jpg

Hi Guy's and a very Happy New Year to you both.

We have welded the home made equivalent of a Hayman Reece receiver to the bar between the spare tires as seen in the pics.

We carry a standard tongue and ball in case we need to tow a standard trailer with the car, we just fit this to the car.

The bike carrier as seen is a standard unit for clearing rear carried wheels so we can also fit this entire assembly to the car to carry the bikes.

Bear in mind this entire carrier was heavily re enforced due to cracking, but works well.

Hint if you fit something up, be sure to cover the bikes as red dust (from experience) is a bugger to get out of gears and lubed bits :shutup: .

post-36-1263162273_thumb.jpg post-36-1263162293_thumb.jpg

Regards and love too yas.

Mavis and Rod.

P.S.

Great work on the hitch lock Col & Debbie

• 1 month later...

Thanks Col & Debbie for the idea on the hitch lock. My brother whipped one up for me on Saturday morning. He loves welding. He gets all the metal from his work and made a super strong one.

Cheers

Hi Webby,

I am glad you could make enough sense of my photos to be able to reproduce the hitch lock. I am very security conscious (Debbie says I'm paranoid about security), so necessity was the mother of invention in this case. I think it would take a determined effort to overcome the Hyland Helmut.

Regards

• 7 months later...