Caravan Security

Gary and Kaye

Hi Folks,

I am interested in what people have found usefull in protecting there caravans and peripheral equipment against theft. To also, protecting the occupant whilst inside at night.

What are some of the solutions currently used to secure spare tyres onto the rear of the van.

What is being used as an audiable alarm to ward off intruders.

I have read the post placed by Webby, and have taken this excellent information onboard. :thumbsup:

Locks and other accessories only keep honest people out, but I would like to try make it somewhat difficult for the undesirable. :shades:

I guess we all have an element of doubt when leaving the van to go off to explore, and yes, it comes down to location, location.

Unfortunately we read far too often of travellers being broken into, ransacked and equipment stolen by opportunistic people.

I won't let it rule my lifestyle, but at least I can put in a reasonable insurance claim.

Appreciate your feedback on this subject.

Safe travels

G'day Gary and Kaye

We a pretty much resigned to the fact that caravans are very easy targets and there isn't a lot that you can do to protect what is inside of them. Let's face it, if you're bush camping and have driven off on a day trip it means that any would-be thieves will have all day to do what they wish to do. Especially if you bush camp alone as we often do.

All we do is make sure that we secure all windows, hatches and the door. We have a hitch lock and we chain the wheels of the van. We put everything of significant value in the vehicle with us....we have $45,000 worth of video gear that is never out of our sight. Even at night, the valuables are in our vehicle because it has a very sophisticated anti-theft system. No-one is getting into that car without creating the biggest ruckus.

As for security at night when we are sleeping in the van.....well Mr Ruger makes a product that spits lead out of its front end at 2600 feet second. Happily, I can report that it has never been used, nor have we ever felt the need to glance in its direction. We do sleep with the door locked.

I once gave some thought to installing a security system with PIRs but in the end I decided that Australia's bountiful wildlife would set it off more often than would-be crims, so I gave it a miss.

Cheers

Russ

Hi Gary & Kaye.

One thing we do when in the van at night for a bit more security is to insert a security chain on the door similar to ones you see in motel rooms.

We also make sure that laptops and cameras go with us when we leave the van. TV's and sat dishes and set top boxes stay but we try and not leave our van in any isolated spots on its own.

Another thing is to have a small chain and lock on metal jerry can lids to prevent opening and being siphoned. A lock on the hitch is also always there if we leave as well.

If we not happy with a camp we move and we have done this a few times when concerned with some of the campers behaviour around us. Better to be safe than sorry.

Geoff

Hi Folks,

Thank you for the replys.

All food for thought. Like the idea of the alarms.

Need to find out about securing those 2 x spares on the back of the van.

Perhaps there is a product similar to locking wheel nuts.

Cheers

Hi Garry & Kaye,

For the spare wheels I purchased one of those coiled cable type setups from Bunnings ($10) similar to this

wrap it around one of the 'spokes' of the wheels & then onto the steel frame the wheels are mounted on, also used the same set up for the gas bottles....works for us....but as previously mentioned 'locks only keep honest people out'