Axle Washer Tearing

Axle Washer Tearing - Suggestions Please

I have been working in the wheel bearing and brakes department on our Kedron lately. Over some time I have noticed that the wheel washers holding the hub on the axle show signs of tearing on their inner or bearing surface. The tearing I believe leads contamination of the grease with small metal particles which quickly wrecks the outer bearing. I have just replaced two outer bearings which were showing marks on the bearing surfaces after only 5,500ks.

When towing I am always conscious of not attempting tight turns which puts colossal side thrust on wheel bearings and would "mark up" the soft washer surface.

On nut tightness I have always done them up moderately tight, then backed off, half to one flat to get the split pin in.

Does anyone have comment on how to manage this issue please, perhaps surface hardened washers?.

Thanks,

Grahame

post-129-1305337646_thumb.jpg

Hi Grahame,

When I serviced my bearings I noticed the same thing with my washers, I was also thinking about hardened washers. As the 'wear' wasnt all that bad I reused mine luckily there was no apparent damage to the outer bearing.

When adjusting the bearings I leave a slight preload on the bearings....as in, I thighten the bearing & then back off only enough to get the split pin in. The theroy being no clearance the washer cant OR shouldnt turn on the bearing.....hope this helps :thumbsup:

When adjusting the bearings I leave a slight preload on the bearings....as in, I thighten the bearing & then back off only enough to get the split pin in. The theroy being no clearance the washer cant OR shouldnt turn on the bearing.....hope this helps :thumbsup:

Tony and John,

Thanks for your comment on your techniques on handling pre-loading of the bearing set.

I rang Vehicle Components this morning and talked to a Senior Salesman, Paul, who has been with them some time. He had seen some wear on washers coming in on gear being brought to the sales counter by customers. His recommendation for 12 in hub sets on heavy caravans is to tighten to a "firm" setting then back off close to one flat.

He says they do not make or sell a hardened washer and that the usual standard soft mild steel washer is supplied on all their hubs.

He did say that re-greasing every 10,000k is most important.

So that is the point of view from VC - all grist for the mill.

Thanks again for your interest, we may see you on the road.

Regards,

Grahame

Greetings all.

Having changed many a wheel and bearing assemblies on aircraft, It is imperative to tighten the bearing nut while rotating the hub. Without a torque wrench tighten hard, then back off all the way, this seats the bearings all the way on the axle. Then tighten with a slight load, never ever loose. Our bearings on our XC have done 70,000kms, Well three sets have the other was changed after losing a wheel in Kakadu about 50,000kms ago. That is story for another time :confused: