Gibb River Road Condition

Tolley

Hi Everyone,

I am in Kalbarri WA headed north hoping to traverse the GRR in the next few weeks. Yesterday I was told by a fellow traveller that the GRR is closed to all traffic due to the heavy and late wet season.

This morning I checked on the WA Main Roads web site and it gives a fairly horrible description of the road with most of it being open to vehicles under 15 tonne but severe cautions about some areas.

Does anyone have first hand or better advice than that which I am getting?

Regards to all

Hi Tolley,

It's a great part of Australia out there, I'm looking forward to exploring it further when we pick up the new van mid July.

As for road conditions I offer this URL which has a 'Road Conditions' phone number for the GRR area......1800 013 314 http://www.gibbriver...conditions.html

All the best on your travels

Gary & Kaye

Thanks Gary,that is a good web site. It takes you through to WA Main Roads and the report there is as follows:

GIBB RIVER ROAD.

• Derby – Lennard River - OPEN TO ALL VEHICLES

• Lennard River - Imintji - CLOSED TO ALL VEHICLES OVER 15T

• Imintji - Mt Barnett - CLOSED TO ALL VEHICLES OVER 15T

• Mt Barnett – Kalumburu turnoff - CLOSED TO ALL VEHICLES OVER 15T

Flood damage repairs in progress from Kalumburu turnoff to MT Barnett

CAUTION: Traffic Management in place, soft edges and losts of scouring at creek crossings

• Kalumburu turnoff to Pentecost River - CLOSED TO ALL VEHICLES OVER 15T

(Durack River @ 450mm 10/06/2011) - OPEN TO HIGH CLEARANCE 4WD VEHICLES ONLY

(Pentecost River @ 450mm on 10/06/2011 - Caution: Tidal influences effects river heights)

•• Pentecost River – Wyndham turnoff - OPEN TO ALL VEHICLES

CAUTION: 130-160kms along western end of the Gibb River Road there has been minor damage to floodways and road.

My experience with the Qld Main Road web site and road conditions is that they are generally out of date and hence, inaccurate. That is why I am fishing for first hand info from someone who is out there.

It sure is a great country and Gayleen and I are having a ball. Don't delay as every day the Nanny State imposes more restrictions on our freedoms. For example, as of a few months ago you cannot buy a WA rock lobster from the boats anymore!! The controls are so onerous that most shops have also stopped selling them!

There are plenty more examples of the Nanny State encroachment.

Kind regards

Does anyone have first hand or better advice than that which I am getting?

Regards to all

G'day,

the GRR can change very quickly. Just last week they had more (unseasonal) rain at the western end, but not enough to make much difference. Even when graded it only takes a few days to go back to corrugations as they only knock the tops off the corrugations to fill the bottoms of the corrugations, and it doesn't take long for vehicles to push that dirt out again.

We did it last year and got through without trouble. As always, let commonsense prevail. Drive according to the conditions. You have the van to do it, so if you take it easy you will get through. One thing to consider is that even though the GRR will get repaired reasonably quickly, the tracks into some of the scenic places won't necessarily be the same. You may find that you won't be able to get to some of them. Also, take care at ALL river crossings.

The Main Roads give a report on ABC local radio every weekday morning between 10 AM and 12 Noon, so keep your wireless on and listen for the report - it is always up-to-the-minute. They are also available by telephone on 138138.

Cheers

Russ.

BTW, drop in and say g'day as you get to the Karratha, Wickham, Point Samson area. Cossack is just five Km off the Roebourne-Point Samson Road. Sue and I are the entire population of the town, so we aren't hard to find...lol...

Russ, thank you for the advice. I have just looked at Cossack on Google Earth so now I know where you are. We will call in and say hello! Off to Monkey Mia today.

Regards