Travelling WA

Mayzee

Hi All

We are currently at Barn Hill Station in WA having travelled from Peregian Beach Qld via Mt Isa and Katherine to Kununurra then down the Gibb River Road. If any Koggers are about we would love to compare notes and perhaps enjoy a cold drink.

Hi All

We are currently at Barn Hill Station in WA having travelled from Peregian Beach Qld via Mt Isa and Katherine to Kununurra then down the Gibb River Road. If any Koggers are about we would love to compare notes and perhaps enjoy a cold drink.

Can't join you for a drink as we have just come back from 80 mile beach thats not far south of Barn Hill.

If you are into fishing 80 mile exeeded our expectations like 20-25lb threadfin salmon of the beach,

also what we sandgropers call Mullaway also some black tipped shark all off the beach.

One lady in our group caught a barramumdi,

which had even the "locals" suprised.

Enjoy the west the flowers are out at the moment in full bloom.

John

Hi John & Jo,

We are really enjoying the trip and have just got back to Marble Bar after spending time at Carawine Gorge. Wish we had been at 80 Mile Beach for the fishing as I hear that when the Threadfin are on there are heaps there.

John

Carawine gorge, what a pretty spot at least it was last time we were there.

We did the loop from Nullangine to Scull Springs, over or, I should say through, the Oak-over River to Marble bar.

Beautiful country.

We are off next week to the Dowerin Field day's and then up to do the wildflower run should be good.

Enjoy the West there's lots to see over here. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

John

Hi Mayzee,

you must be about 1 wk ahead of us. We just this morning checked into Barn Hill with the most glorious views out our back window. We are heading south, so if you're still in the area might catch up with you. There are 4 other Kedrons here, 2 of them not in the KOG. Don't know about the other 2.

We should be in Port Headland Mon / Tues

cheers

Sue & Rod

Hi Sue & Rod

We've just got into Tom Price from Karijini NP and will be heading for Millstream NP tomorrow. Will probably be heading for Point Samson on about Wednesday. Gradually working our way south too so will let you know where we are from time to time and hope we can meet up somewhere.

Regards

John

G'day all,

Most of you are pretty close to where we are and sounds like you will be in the vicinity at least sometime soon. We are at Cossack. We are the caretakers here at the moment, so if you're in the area, drop in and say g'day. The kiosk is open between 9:30 and 1:30 each day. The girl that runs it during the week can point you in our direction. Otherwise, we'll either be at the office or cleaning the accommodation. Either way it isn't hard to find us as we are the entire population of Cossack.

Cheers

Russ

Hi Sue & Rod

We've just got into Tom Price from Karijini NP and will be heading for Millstream NP tomorrow. Will probably be heading for Point Samson on about Wednesday. Gradually working our way south too so will let you know where we are from time to time and hope we can meet up somewhere.

Regards

John

Hi John

we've pulled into Port Headland today. Few days here depending on a parcel arriving from Kedron - the reversing camera filter & fuse box under the car died on us a month ago at the beginning of the GRR.

We are heading down to Karijini as soon as we get it & then up to Millstream.

How was the road up into the other gorges from Dales camp ground & the road up to Millstream?

Maybe catch you up somewhere which would be great, but it sounds like you are seeing similar stuff to us - which by the way has been fantastic.

cheers

Sue & Rod

G'day all,

Most of you are pretty close to where we are and sounds like you will be in the vicinity at least sometime soon. We are at Cossack. We are the caretakers here at the moment, so if you're in the area, drop in and say g'day. The kiosk is open between 9:30 and 1:30 each day. The girl that runs it during the week can point you in our direction. Otherwise, we'll either be at the office or cleaning the accommodation. Either way it isn't hard to find us as we are the entire population of Cossack.

Cheers

Russ

Hi Russ

I saw a few days ago that you lived @ Cossack. Was thinking of maybe calling to see you & Sue, so you've made it easy for us to find you if you're the only ones in 'town'. Will be awhile yet before we get there, so keep the drinks on ice :)

cheers Sue & Rod

Hi Sue & Rod,

We are now at Cleaverville camp near Roebourne and it's fabulous. At $7 per site per day and cheaper if you stay weekly or monthly it's good value. We dropped in to see Rus & Sue (KOGGERS) at Cossack and they recommended it. All the roads throughout the Pilbara are about the same, bits are great and bits are corrugated or rocky.

We just poke along at about 60kph with our van tyres at 28psi and the cruiser at 28 and 38 and have had no problems. As an aside (Rod only) we stayed at Snake Creek Campground last night and apart from enjoying a great night with a couple from Caloundra with a Majestic van and a great bloke who was the Grader driver and who was half Aborigine and half Afghan there was an Artist and his partner also camped there...early thirties. As seems to be the case with artists they were a bit free and easy and the girl just took off all her clothes and had a bit of a tub in the middle of the small campground in full view of everyone. Naturally I was doing my afternoon walk at the time and missed out. Next morning I did my usual 2-3km walk which was to the Python Pool and when I got back Bill (Majestic) said she's doing it again. Just my luck....missed oput again.

Regards

John

Hi Sue & Rod,

We are now at Cleaverville camp near Roebourne and it's fabulous. At $7 per site per day and cheaper if you stay weekly or monthly it's good value. We dropped in to see Rus & Sue (KOGGERS) at Cossack and they recommended it. All the roads throughout the Pilbara are about the same, bits are great and bits are corrugated or rocky.

We just poke along at about 60kph with our van tyres at 28psi and the cruiser at 28 and 38 and have had no problems. As an aside (Rod only) we stayed at Snake Creek Campground last night and apart from enjoying a great night with a couple from Caloundra with a Majestic van and a great bloke who was the Grader driver and who was half Aborigine and half Afghan there was an Artist and his partner also camped there...early thirties. As seems to be the case with artists they were a bit free and easy and the girl just took off all her clothes and had a bit of a tub in the middle of the small campground in full view of everyone. Naturally I was doing my afternoon walk at the time and missed out. Next morning I did my usual 2-3km walk which was to the Python Pool and when I got back Bill (Majestic) said she's doing it again. Just my luck....missed oput again.

Regards

John

Hi John

thanks for the heads up on the camp spot near Roebourne - have noted it in the Hema maps. Lots of post it notes every where - just another note added thanks to you. Also noted snake Creek camp ground. No doubt Rod will cover his eyes & be extremely embarrassed (not) if he gets an eye full of lady taking a bath in the open air :)Will let you know how Rod's luck goes, lol.

I'm looking forward in getting away from busy Port Headland. another :) Too noisy after the tranquility of Barn Hill & 80 mile beach.

still hope to catch up with you somewhere down the road.

cheers

Sue

Hi Russ

I saw a few days ago that you lived @ Cossack. Was thinking of maybe calling to see you & Sue, so you've made it easy for us to find you if you're the only ones in 'town'. Will be awhile yet before we get there, so keep the drinks on ice :)

cheers Sue & Rod

G'day. Look forward to meeting you. If you get here on Sat. 27th August, I won't be here. I'll be out on the river in my kayak, testing for Barramundi. Rumour has it that they're on already. Lots of tourists ask me what the fishing has been like and I can't give them an accurate report without trying it for myself. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it.

Cheers

Russ

G'day. Look forward to meeting you. If you get here on Sat. 27th August, I won't be here. I'll be out on the river in my kayak, testing for Barramundi. Rumour has it that they're on already. Lots of tourists ask me what the fishing has been like and I can't give them an accurate report without trying it for myself. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it.

Cheers

Russ

Hi Russ

have fun in your kayak & the fishing. Hope you get lucky. Rod caught a big 1 on the Daly River a few months ago. You're safe this time, we're heading off to Karijini in the morning, then Millstream, so maybe up to a wk away yet

yep, some one has to do the testing of lots of great jobs :)

cheers

Sue

• 2 weeks later...

Hi RodnSue,

Just wondering where you are. We are staying at Wagoe Chalet & Camping (20km south of Kalbarri) for a couple of days before heading to Geraldton for a few repairs and restocking of food and alcohol.

Hi RodnSue,

Just wondering where you are. We are staying at Wagoe Chalet & Camping (20km south of Kalbarri) for a couple of days before heading to Geraldton for a few repairs and restocking of food and alcohol.

Hi John

we checked into Exmouth this morning. Might be in the area for a few days, then we're off to Coral Bay.

It seems that we're still a wk or so behind you.

We may eventually catch up with you.

We called in to see Russ @ pretty Cossack - had a great fish & chip meal @ Point Samson tavern.

Cleaverville was windy, but Dampier windier due to the high down south :(

How are the wild flowers going? - I'm loving the changing landscape with the flowers, green spinifex, hills, escarpments, ocean, sand dunes etc. - endless changes :)

cheers Sue

Hi there Sue,

We have just returned to Geraldton to have maintenance done on the Tojo, Van, and John after a couple of months of tough travelling from Queensland. We went out to Mullewa to see the wreath flowers and fortunately a guy suggested we go on to Pindar (about another 20 Km}. We got to Pindar and they had a sign out saying follow the Station track for about 10km to see the wreath flowers. Well what a sight, people, vans, and cars all stopped on a bush track to photograph those truly amazing flowers. They are something not to be missed. We then free camped at the Pioneer Well and had a great camp fire before returning to Geraldton .

• 2 weeks later...

Hi RodnSue,

We are about to leave Mandurah for Bunbury where we will stay for a couple of days. We had the van serviced at "Town & Country Caravans" at Geraldton and can thoroughly recomend them...all wheel bearings replaced, brakes checked etc. Not cheap but they did a great job. Now we are ready for the next few thousand km.So far haven't wet a line but hope to somewhere in the great Australian Bight.

Damm, haven't seen the Artists again...just my bad luck!

Hi RodnSue,

We are about to leave Mandurah for Bunbury where we will stay for a couple of days. We had the van serviced at "Town & Country Caravans" at Geraldton and can thoroughly recomend them...all wheel bearings replaced, brakes checked etc. Not cheap but they did a great job. Now we are ready for the next few thousand km.So far haven't wet a line but hope to somewhere in the great Australian Bight.

Damm, haven't seen the Artists again...just my bad luck!

Hi Maureen & John

you guys are powering ahead of us now,

we will be leaving the beautiful Kalbarri area tomorrow. We're heading towards Geraldton & Mullewa :)

You & every one keeps telling me the wild flowers get better as we move further south. I've been blown away with what Kalbarri Nat Pk had to offer.

We did some whale watching from the rugged cliff tops down the road from a very chilly & windy Kalbarri, with a mother & calf prob 100 mtrs from our vantage point.

We won't need to pay mega bucks for a tour in the Moreton Bay now :)

re van service - not looking forward to our costs that come up soon for us too.

Hope you have some luck in the south for the fishing & enjoy the beautiful south

cheers

Sue