Elim Beach

JETnomads

If the Kedron who was with the Boroma ... coming down to Elim Beach on Friday 19 August. or someone who had had contact with them reads this.

We would love to find out how you went getting in to Eddies Camp there at Elim Beach.

We met the Kedron and Boroma (with a flat on the tow vehicle) on their way in. We had been there (no van), and had our warm? (I think not), welcome from Eddie and we were leaving the area.

A word of advice.. NEVER drive by Eddies house and park.. I have never seen an old person move so fast to get tell us to move on (polite version) .. It seems we were in the way of the campers who were coming. I can only imaging he meant the above vans. As we so on one else near there till be met those a couple of hours later. What a cranky old XXXXX. One of our party suggested he must have a toothache. Which made us all laugh as I dont think he has a tooth in his head. He would not let us speak, could not really get a word in .. was trying to tell him we only wanted to look at the beach.. I guess the other 'non camper" there must have stopped at the house and got permission to go the extra 30 metres before parking.

Unfortunately it has soured a place I had such fond memories of...

Hi Eric & Jody

Having spent 12 months in the south-west corner of WA.recently,we found in a lot of cases, in the so called tourist industry, that is normal behaviour,especially once they know you are from the Eastern states.But "scewem' have a great time anyway :D

Cheers

Rick & Lea

Hello Eric and Jodie,

If you are asking is it difficult to get your van in and out of Elim Beach than the answer ois NO, it is not difficult. My 100 Series pulled the TE out of there no problem a bit ocver 12 months ago. The road/ track was very sandy as I recall but it was not a problem.

Regards

Colin

Hi Colin

Twelve months ago I would have agreed with you.

However last week it was not so good. The track was much more overgrown. There are a lot of large holes full of water and there is a tree over the track before Eddies place with a very sharp turn around it.. The tree must have fallen and no one has moved it.. just driven their cars around it. The big sandy hill as you descend to the beach is no longer even sandy, its now a hard narrow track, washed out into a rut on the side. Had I not seen it one year apart with my own eyes, I would not have believed it had someone told me there was even a big soft sandy hill to drive up and down.

We met the two vans I spoke above going in, and in hindsight I feel guilty that we did not recommend that they take one tow vehicle off and do a run in before taking the vans in. I hope they did make it safely.

I am just being curious. Seems I am not destined to find out though LOL.

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the update and all I can say is that it is a pity. Its a great spot except for the sandflies. Until I hear differently I will cross it off my list of weekend destinations.

Regards

Colin

Yep that was me and a friend. Had absolutely no trouble getting in and out with the vans (mine's a 21ft ATV) except for the flat tyre going in on the vehicle with the Borooma. There was nothing wrong with the road - it is in very good order and much better than we were expecting. We quite easily backed the vans in under the Melaleucas to within a few feet of the beach front. Glorious camp spot. Eddie was very friendly towards us and we spent several hours talking with him. Got a heap of mudcrabs off the beach in front of the camp ground but only one little fish as it was a neap tide. The winds were favourable and we only got a few sandies at dusk. Took a drive up to the coloured sands - wow I can only say they leave Fraser Is for dead when you walk up into them. Also spent a morning with Eddie's brother(David)digging up Ironwwod roots to make tar for his spears.

If you let Eddie know you are coming you should find him very hospitable (afterall it is not a public place and is his private land)and I would highly recommend at least a few days there. Contact details for Eddie are 4060 9223 but best to call at night time and check directions as it's not well signposted.

Regards,

Barry

Barry so glad it was easy for you... It just seemed a lot worse than it was when we had been there on previous occasions.. Maybe the worst was further up the track from Eddies place. Opposite direction to the colored sands, it was not till after we drove out that we started thinking about it...

It is a lovely place.. and yes we should have stopped outside Eddies house rather than drive in and park.. we were walking back to see him when he came speeding down to tell us to move off.

It is a lovely place for sure and the colored sands are just great to see.

Hello Barry and Eric,

That is really pleasing to read as Elim is a special spot. It's back on my list of weekend escapes. By-the-way, in Hopvale there is an excellent cultural centre that has some excellent paintings and other things. we have three small originals in our Top Ender and somehow they atre always still hanging there irrespective of the road conditions. It's worth a visit.

Regards

Colin

• 1 month later...

Hi,

A bit late reading this, as we have just returned from a trip up north. We towed our 17ft Kedron into Eddie's Place on 29 August 2011 and stayed for 10 days, and there were graders working on the road then fairly close to Hopevale. We had no problems at all with the road conditions and testament to this, a tiny Jayco followed us in and stayed at Eddies also.

We had no problems with Eddie personally, although some people we met later, who had driven up from Cooktown for a "look-see", got the same reception as you did.

I know it is no excuse for abrupt behaviour, but during our stay, Eddie did have to travel to Weipa for a cataract operation on his eyes (a pretty long trip in a bus when you are 85ish years old). We had left before he returned, so do not know how he faired.

Back to road conditions - we had not problems going in or out, van handled it well.

Cheers,

Phil

For those of you who have never met Eddie perhaps a little background may help. We have known Eddie for more than thirty years. He is a proud and honest man who has worked very hard in his lifetime and even now at his age still keeps on going. For Eddie and the Hopevale Community "Respect" is the keyword. This is their home, their backyard if you like and our world is a million miles away and totally uncomprehended. So just remember if Eddie was someone you didn't know and you wanted to stay in his backyard how would you go about it? Be polite, give him time, his world runs at a different pace. Ring before you go and have a chat to him and you will be rewarded by a sincere man who, if you want you can learn much from. So if you want the real deal aboriginal experience give it a try - if not go to a caravan park and take a tour!

Neville & Kay

Cooktown