Advice Wanted and Needed

Tolley

Hello Everyone,

I am keen to cross the deserts towing my van sometime in the cooler months of this year. My initial outline plan is to go from Cairns to Boulia and then to Yulara via either the Plenty Highway or down the Birdsville or Strzeleki Track and Oodnadatta Track. From Yulara the outline plan is to traverse the Great Central Road to Laverton WA.

From Laverton we may visit Margaret River (again) and return home via the Nullabor, the Clare and Barossa, Cameron’s Corner, Hungerford and then Cairns.

The crew consists of me, (nearly 70 with two stents), beautiful Gayleen and two small poodles, Moet and Cherie. The Top Ender and 100 Series Landcruiser are all in good order and we have a fairly complete set of gear including sat phones etc. We have a good first aid kit and next week we are attending first aid training to get our tickets.

I seek opinions of more experienced Koggers as to whether or not it is a realistic trip for us to do and, of course, any advice what-so-ever in relation to desert travel. Also, is it wise to do such a trip alone or should we be in company with another vehicle?

Anything anyone can offer will be much appreciated.

Regards

Colin

G`day Colin.

That sounds like a great trip. We have done all of those roads either in the current van or the first Keddy. You will love it.BUT take your time and drive to the conditions.If you can get someone to travel with you, even if it is just on the more remote tracks all the better.

Above all, have a ball. ;)

G'day Colin

Of the roads you mentioned, we found the Plenty Highway to be in the worst condition. It was very corrugated at the Stuart Highway end. That said, all of the roads are ok for a Kedron to traverse. As Lea and Rick said, just drive nice and slow on the rough stuff and you'll be fine.

The Great Central Road was a doddle wet we crossed it. They are doing a lot of good work on it on the WA side. Just keep an eye on the road condition report (Main Roads WA web site) because it can be a shocker if it has rained out there. A little tip. If you don't need to buy fuel at Laverton and can sneak across the next 110 Km or so to Leonora, do so. Fuel was 7 cents/Litre cheaper at Leonora.

We hired a satellite phone when we crossed the GCR as the only mob. phone base is at Warburton and you can go for days without seeing a vehicle out there. We just posted it back to the hire company when we reached civilisation.

Cheers

Russ

Thank you Lea, Rick, Russ and Sue for the information and also for taking the time to respond.

I am doing my homework on the planned trip, it's fun doing the research and planning. I really appreciate advice from those who have the experience.

At the moment I am favouring going south from Birdsville rather than crossing the Plenty Highway. Russ, we have had a sat phone for some time now and we do not go anywhere in the bush without it. It has been great and I am always surprised at the number of people we meet in remote places that have no external communications other than a UHF CB!

One website I was reading stated that the GCR has 10,000 vehicles a year pass along it. If that is correct, and if most are travelling in the five cooler months, they will need traffic lights out there soon!

Thanks once again.

Colin

Colin, We spent 2 months in the Hearts Range aera 3yrs ago going to different Gem fields & travelling through to the Alice & back across the Plenty Highway & then on to Bouila & Winton there is some great scenery between these two places,in one place on right, we drove Sahara & Topender up on top of lookout & had smoko.We did Gibb River Road last year & thought that it was the same as the Plenty. We also carry Sat Phone & a personal GME GPS Equipped Emergency Beacon which is registered to us giving Vehicle description,contact ph.numbers beside ours,as we travel to lot of out of the way places & mostly by ourselves.Which ever way you go we are sure you will really enjoy it as it is a great Country. Regards Neville.

Hi all

We travelled the Great Central Road in September 2011 from West to East and stayed at the roadhouses. We had thought about bush camping but after all the corrigations, were happy to just pull up. Our tug is a 03 4.8 petrol Patrol with gas and the van is a 2002 XC 21.6 ft The outside was ok but some cupboards fell apart, the fridge shelves broke and the passenger side double window slides came undone. Gaffer tape is wonderful. No structural damage, all cosmetic which is now fixed. Still working on the dust. We ran 35psi on the Kedron which on reflection, should have been about 25. About 5 vehicles went past us the other way each day over 4 days and at each roadhouse there was about 10 4x4 with camper trailers or rooftops. You must watch the weather balloons launching at Giles. We also passed a young male walking the GCR pushing a 4 wheel buggy. He was travelling from the most Westerly to the most Easterly point of Australia. Gave him some cold water and soft drink and some dollars and had a good chat. Thats when we found the windows undone.

Looking to do the Darling River Run later this year, then some outback roads in Qld passing through places like Adavale, Isisford, Muttaburra and across to Toowoomba. Cheers Rod and Judy, Tassie Devils from Turners Beach.

Lee, Russ, Neville and Rod,

Thanks for all your info and comments. Much appreciated. We are still planning and, if you do not mind I might PM each of you if I have any issues to discuss.

In the meantime, thanks for you advice.

Regards

Colin