Generator Slide

Alan and Liz Jones

Sorry folks pushed the wrong button!!!!!!!!!

The photos are of the pull out slide I have made for the Yamaha 2400i.

I bought the slides on ebay for $89 delivered, they are 700mm long and will hold 100kg. This is the link for the slides http://www.ebay.com....984.m1497.l2648 The aluminium I bought from Bunnings. There is just enough clearance to slide the Genny in and out, I've put a piece of aluminium up at the back of the tray so that anything behind the Genny doesn't fall off. Total cost about $200 and about half a days labour.

post-458-0-02982200-1326446515_thumb.jpgpost-458-0-75611800-1326446515_thumb.jpgpost-458-0-00439000-1326446527_thumb.jpgpost-458-0-86477100-1326446527_thumb.jpgpost-458-0-68486700-1326446528_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Alan

Good job there Alan. I would probably pinch your idea except that just last night the Missus and I decided to sell our Yamaha Genny as we never use it and we need to get some weight off the towball.

Cheers

Russ

Hi Russ,

I had to get some weight off the tow ball also so I have extended the rear bar and added a box. See attached photo.

I have also bought a set of Hayman Reece Ball Weight Scales, a bit pricey but worth the peace of mind when loading the van.

post-458-0-86548500-1326492084_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Alan

G'day again Alan

Sorry to hijack your thread like this but this whole issue of towball weight is giving me a huge amount of grief. We have delaminated four rear tyres on the tug over the three years that we have had the Kedron. They don't blow, they simply get bulges in them on the inside sidewall. Have tried BFG's, Toyos and Cooper tyres and all have done the same thing. I'm having to run the buggers at 70 psi to avoid excess heat build-up. We have added a water bladder to the rear bar that shifts some weight but not enough to be a real help.

This winter I am going to move the batteries to the rear of the van. One will go in the cupboard under the fridge, next to the HWS and two or three will end up under the cafe lounge that is behind the wheel arch. Combined with off-loading the generator and not needing to carry a jerry can full of fuel means that I should get rid of, or at least move, 240 Kg from the front of the van. I will then decide whether I need to relocate the most forward of the water tanks to the rear of the van.

When you load your van using the scales as a guide, what ball-weight do you end up achieving? I take it that some of the stuff that you would usually carry in the front-boot ends up in the toolbox on the rear bar?

Cheers

Russ

Hi Russ,

I haven't done a full test on the ball weight with the box installed as yet because I only installed it last week. I was very surprised when I got the scales and checked the ball weight with the van loaded (except for clothes) and the water tanks full (no box on rear at this stage), it weighed 423kgs. As my tow vehicle is a Range Rover with air bag suspension and self levelling (same as your Discovery) you don't realise the amount of weight. I did some testing before I had the box made by moving the rear bar out by 400mm and filled up jerry cans of water and put them in the space to make sure my theory would work. It did and the weight came down to around 300kgs. I took notes on the weights which I have left in the van which is stored about 10kms from here , so next time I'm out there I will bring them home and send them to you.

I tested it loaded but with empty water tanks, then filled each tank starting from the back and weighing it between filling each tank (4x80lt), leaving the very front tank empty makes a big difference. So when we are going to travel to areas where we need all tanks full the front one will be the one we use first.

When I do a proper test with the box now fitted I will let you know the results of that.

Cheers

Alan

Thank you for the reply Alan. I look forward to receiving the info from you. I spoke to another Kedron owner just a few days ago and his ball-weight was over 500 Kg! It certainly seems to be an issue.

Cheers

Russ

Hi Russ,

I haven't done a full test on the ball weight with the box installed as yet because I only installed it last week. I was very surprised when I got the scales and checked the ball weight with the van loaded (except for clothes) and the water tanks full (no box on rear at this stage), it weighed 423kgs. As my tow vehicle is a Range Rover with air bag suspension and self levelling (same as your Discovery) you don't realise the amount of weight. I did some testing before I had the box made by moving the rear bar out by 400mm and filled up jerry cans of water and put them in the space to make sure my theory would work. It did and the weight came down to around 300kgs. I took notes on the weights which I have left in the van which is stored about 10kms from here , so next time I'm out there I will bring them home and send them to you.

I tested it loaded but with empty water tanks, then filled each tank starting from the back and weighing it between filling each tank (4x80lt), leaving the very front tank empty makes a big difference. So when we are going to travel to areas where we need all tanks full the front one will be the one we use first.

When I do a proper test with the box now fitted I will let you know the results of that.

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan & other concerned Kedron Owners my idea is to late for us,but I talked to Kedron after I had noticed this problem [ they say they customise your van]& said all they have to do is shift the axles forward & they looked at me blankely,this should not be too hard with the Engineering available today,as they do this when building boats.Our van is only 17.6 ft.internal with 2/80Lt,& 1/60 Lt.tank. We have looked at larger vans & had wondered how they got on with weights. Neville.