STRZLECKI TRACK

Chris

We plan to travel on the Strzlecki from Adelaide in about three weeks time (mid May) and are keeping close tabs on the road conditions.

I have checked the road conditions sites and it seems that generally the Track is open, although with caution. From Innaminka we plan to head north east to Quilpie, and then meander up to Brisbane. (Last year we were in the Qulipie region in July and had to leave a closer inspection of all the area has to offer, due to rain).

Has anyone been on the Track recently and able to comment on its condition? How much water is around?

We will be travelling with a Landcruiser and a Top Ender.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I can only conclude no one has done this Track - or not recently.

We are now planning to go up through Brachina Gorge and then onto the Track to Innamincka and then Quilpie. Let's hope the weather remains fine.

When I get back I will do a trip report.

Chris

Hi Chris

Give the Flinders Ranges ;) a big hug for us while you are there, and have a great trip.

Cheers

Rick & Lea

Hi Chris

Give the Flinders Ranges ;) a big hug for us while you are there, and have a great trip.

Cheers

Rick & Lea

To be sure, we enjoyed great company when there in 2009...

post-45-0-67520900-1336632380_thumb.jpg

Well, we are off tomorrow morning, on the trip up through the Flinders onto the Strzelecki to Innamincka and then outback QLD through to Brisbane.

If you see us, stop and say hello!

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hello fellow travellers.

Val and I have just arrived in Thargomindah (outback QLD) after having been travelling from home (near Adelaide) up the Flinders Ranges, on to the Strzelecki, camping at Innamincka and last night camped at Noccundra Waterhole.

We have stayed in fabulous camps the whole way - every single spot we have stayed has been a knockout camp. Innamincka had a heap of great spots, all along the river. There was a choice of a town-common campground which was busier than the further spots out along the Cooper, but nowhere was really busy. The river is right up and the birdlife is prolific.

The first night out our toilet opener-closer thingy broke (sigh) and then the caravan charger stopped working. But Val had cunningly brought along a cheap little backup version after the same thing happened to the charger when we did a rough road trip up through Finke to Alice Springs a couple of years ago. The expensive Victron units don't seem to be performing for us....but the cheap unit he had bought in Alice Springs to tide us over back in 2009 performs wonderfully well. (It is only an issue when on town power or are using a generator, and this is the first time we have stayed at a park since leaving home).

We are here to top up the water tanks and do the sheets and towels in the washing machine.

Last night we went into town for a pub meal. Last night at Noccundra, the camp sites are not too far from a local pub where I had high hopes of a meal. This was not to be. The bloke running the pub didn't really want to be there, he definitely didn't want any customers to be there, and there was no cook. So there were no meals. Apparently it has changed hands recently...

Anyway, there will be a fuller trip report sometime soon.

Chris