Charging car aux battery from van

Hermit

Hi all, I've searched the forum but was unable to find an answer to my question.

So, when I am free camping will I be able to keep the car aux battery charged up and supplying the Engel just by leaving the van connected to the car via the anderson plug?

I imagine the solar charger/battery system, in the van, will be able to keep the Engel going and possibly also charge up the aux battery.

Am I correct?

Thanks for any advice.

Rob

Townsville.

Rob,

We have a few electrical whiz's on the forum who will possibly be able to help but it really all depends on a few basic ingredients. How much solar you have available, how much battery capacity you have, size of your wiring going back to the tow vehicle, size of the wiring in the tow vehicle. How much you are using out of your batteries on any given day and whether or not the sun is shining so you can recharge what you are taking out. What you ask can be done, I back charge a 75 amp Thumper which runs a 40lt Engel with no problem through a direct connection from the AP on the van and input plug on the Thumper.

cheers

The first thing you need to check is that there isn't a shunt stopping the power going from the van back to the car. This was commonly done by Kedron on their earlier vans. Put a multimeter on the vans Anderson plug and if you get a reading of 12+ volts then you're ok. If your van has the typical 3 solars it won't be a drama.

Mark

Greetings Rob

We have been using the Anderson plug to charge our aux fridge battery (100 amp/hr AGM) for the last 5 years.

Our Anderson plug is a 135a with 25sq mm wiring (larger than the Kedron fitted wiring and plug).

This heavier plug and wiring was fitted to allow a decent charge rate both ways (car to van and van to car)

We have also have a 5 meter lead which allows the car to be unhooked and parked away from the van while still allowing the solar or the vans battery charger to keep the aux battery in the tug healthy.

Works a treat.

Cheers.

Thanks to everyone for the info, I am now confident and happy that my tug aux battery will not go flat and the engel will continue to keep the tinnies cold when we are away from town power.

Just under 3 months to go before we pick-up our new 21' TE.

Can't wait.

Regards

Rob