Now at Mitchell, QLD

Chris

We have now reached Mitchell, after doing about 800 kms of dirst and dusty road travelling since leaving home - probably more, when I add it all up.

The van is in wonderful shape (apart from the dratted battery charger giving up the ghost). But as you all know, we have a small unit Val bought two years ago to replace the last Victron when it crashed. No more Victrons for these little black ducks.

The van has been through swirling dust, and not a speck of dust got in, but this is due to us duct taping up the door and overhead stove vents for travel. We put corks in the diesel heater exhasut to keep dust out, and put newspapers on top of the pantry foods to stop tims and jars from shaking to pieces.

In summary the route taken has been from home near Adelaide:

• the Flinders Ranges
  • up through Blinman to Chambers Gorge and Arkaroola
  • continuing from Arkaroola to the Strzelecki Track and to Innamincka
  • Innamincka to Noccundra Waterhole
  • NH to Thargomindah
  • Thargomindah to Toompine and then to Lake Houdraman near Quilpie
  • Mitchell.

A proper trip report will be done.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris

Just doing a catch up on the forums as we have been out of range. Great to hear that you were dust free after a dusty trip especially as we are considering whether we take the high road through Booroloola to the NT border and then maybe GRR on the way home down the West coast.

We took the precaution of buying a piece of foam rubber whilst in Rockhampton to place up in our 4 seasons hatch as we have heard they can leak dust and as a back up I have an old sheet for over the bed. We normally tape our doors and will tape over the stove exhaust vent as it is on the rear of our van. No problems with our diesel heater which is still keeping us nice and warm via the placebo effect, ie.. it is still uninstalled and under the bed! :lol:

Safe travels

Sue

Hi Chris I was wondering how do you hold up the foam rubber in the four season hatch. We are heading up the savannah way late july we are leaving townsville going to Gorgetown Burketown, Boorloola, lorella springs, Mataranka across to Gove back to Katherine then arcoss GRR into Broome then to the bungle bungles then back to townsville via kingfisher camp and lawn hill. Happy traving might see you on the way . Richard

Hi Richard

I think it is I that you are directing the foam rubber question too. We have two "towel" rails across our four season hatch and the foam we purchased is around 2 inches thick so fairly stable, the rails hold it in place. If it doesn't work we have duct tape! :lol:

Might see you on the Savannah way.

Sue

Hi Richard

I think it is I that you are directing the foam rubber question too. We have two "towel" rails across our four season hatch and the foam we purchased is around 2 inches thick so fairly stable, the rails hold it in place. If it doesn't work we have duct tape! :lol:

Might see you on the Savannah way.

Sue

We travelled on the Savannah Way last year - my, it WAS dusty!- but no dust got into the van, even through the four seasons hatch.

We got dust this time on the one day Val hadn't duct taped up the front door vents. That seems to be the only precaution we take - as well as ducting up the stove exhaust vent as well.

And now we are at a free camp near Kingaroy - Sorensen Bridge camp, just on the outskirts of town, near a river. No facilities but a lovely green area with lots of gum trees. We are well away from said gums and next to the river. Peaceful and quiet, with only one other van which has just pulled in.

We are now headed for Boondooma Dam near Proston. I hope we like it when we get there!

Chris

Oh we did enjoy Boondooma! It was a magic spot, and we had a site right on the water's edge. Full sun on the solar panels, too....

post-45-0-09123200-1340344939_thumb.jpg

And now, we are at Bargara, on the coast near Bundaberg. What were we thinking of to come to a coastal park when school holidays are starting? We are here to catch up with friends or otherwise we would be elsewhere! But it is a lovely park and a great town.

Chris