New Blog for the Kyd's

Rod and Mavis

Hi all.

Due to difficulty posting pic's with our old blog we are currently using http://travellinkyds.wordpress.com/ for our travel updates.

Our old site is still running for archival posts until we transfer over 100% see http://travellin.kyd.com.au/

Cheers from the Kyd's.

Hi Rod & Mavis

Happy & safe travels to the both of you. Am looking forward in reading of your adventure to the Cape. There'll be no excuses for me as I've just signed in for updates on your new additions to the blog.

I wonder how long the Stockmans Hall of Fame has been opened for as it was closed earlier this year due to financial probs? Must be running on skeleton staff, supplies & $$ it seems 'til the happy season is in full swing to at least light the place :rolleyes:

It's such a shame your experience there was marred as I thought it was great in 2011.

You've brought back a few memories with a few places you've visited incl the free camps. We had a small feed of Red Claw from the river @ Boulia....even had to borrow a recipe from another vanner as I had no idea how best to prepare a nice feed with the 6 Rod caught.

Rod wants to know what type / brand of kayak you guys have as Rod is seriously thinking of getting 1 as well :)

cheers for now

Sue

Glen & Deb.

You will be doing it (travelling that is :unsure: )sooner than you think. Keep that I phone counting down.

Rod & Sue.

We have a Hobie tandem about 5 years old http://www.hobiecat.com.au/. It suites us as we have the sail, peddles and paddles as required. A fish finder / Sounder. With the peddles it is much easier to operate than a bike and you have both hands free to fish or click the camera at the bird life that doesn't seem to mind us passing quietly.They are far from cheap but the money that we spent suits our purpose well.

Our choice was governed by the dreaded weight factor. Our last tug only had a 2.5 ton capacity and our 16'6" Keddy XC was impossible to stay legal. A boat was absolutely needed so the Kayak was the choice thus avoiding folding trailers fuel and mix oil for the outboard that had to be stowed somewhere and an expensive rack to load it on.

We failed miserably on the saving of the loading rack having spent $500 on a kayak loader from Thule that drops it off the roof on gas struts to waist height and makes loading on to the roof a breeze (still less than a boat loader).

Having said all of that we still carry a lot of boating gear in a pod on the roof beside the Kayak. One still needs comfy seats, anchors, peddles, sails, trolley, paddles for emergencies or just for exercise (to be avoided at all costs B) ) and wheels to function well with the beasty.

All in all our choice was good for us as long as we don't want to put her into areas where the reptilian wildlife is bigger than the boat

Boats have a greater usage with regard to safety in croc country and the fact that you have more speed to get to your desired destinations, but we love the kayak for its stealth in beautiful areas where the wildlife does not seem to mind our intrusion.

Love it and recommend it for all of the above.post-36-0-73336500-1364721168_thumb.jpg

Cheers from the Kyd's

post-36-0-73336500-1364721168_thumb.jpg

Hi Rod & Mavis

thanks heaps for all that info & the link, which has been down loaded & viewed. Your concise reply has provided the full picture when you consider all the choices. As you say, lots of add ons to have, with all of them adding to the pleasure, comfort & ease of loading etc.

Have fun travelling to the Cape & I look forward in reading it as you go as internet service permits.

cheers

Sue