Lakefield National Park Cape York

Fred1

Hello everyone,

Thanks to everyone for their responses to my previous Cape York questions.

Hopefully I have just one more question. Is there any of Lakefield National Park accessible to a 19/20 foot offroad van? The National Parks website says the park is not suitable for caravans but I know Pandanus Park in Lakefield is accessible for the war veterans with offroad vans. I know some of the locations in the Park would be too small or the roads too narrow. What is the Kedron owners view on a suitable spot in the Park?

Cheers,

Fred1

Hello everyone,

Thanks to everyone for their responses to my previous Cape York questions.

Hopefully I have just one more question. Is there any of Lakefield National Park accessible to a 19/20 foot offroad van? The National Parks website says the park is not suitable for caravans but I know Pandanus Park in Lakefield is accessible for the war veterans with offroad vans. I know some of the locations in the Park would be too small or the roads too narrow. What is the Kedron owners view on a suitable spot in the Park?

Cheers,

Fred1

Hi Fred1

The response I got from a representative on the Caravanning QLD stand at the Perth caravan show this year when I asked when would it be likely I cound take my van up the York Peninsula was NEVER.

He was adamant caravans should NEVER be taken to Cape York and obviously had some sort of grudge.

I have just returned form a short trip running in my new bearings and brakes and went to 3 DEC sites in SW WA all of which did not show suitability for use by caravans on their web site and printed publications but most campers on all of those sites were caravanners and motorhomes so I do not give much credence to suitabilty of use to any NP web site.

When I go shortly I will simply be asking questions locally.

Cheers

Hi Fred and Zolle,

Whoever that was at the Perth Show representing Caravanning Qld was talking out of his fundamental.....well, you know waht I mean. YES, Lakefield is easily accessable by caravan. Yes, Cape York is a wonderful caravan journey. I have had my TE and two poodles in Lakefield NP and the same van has been to Punsand Bay right beside the very tip of Cape York. My 20ft TE has been up the Cape twice, 2010 and 2012.

For your interest I have attached a trip report on our trip a couple of years ago. The two pdf's should dispel any doubts. The pictueres say it all.

BTW, my strong advice to you is to travel up the Cape in June. It is the best month for a good number of reasons.

Regards

Colin