I Need Advice On Batteries

Guest rws4711

I like to get some advice from you guys about the batteries on my ATV

The Trojan Batteries fitted originaly are almost 4 years old and need replacement.

Should I stick with Trojan at around $375.00 per battery or go to something like a Crown Battery for $270.00

Thanks for your help

Rudi

Hi Rudi

If I was in your position I think I would stick with the trojans as they have lasted 4 yrs and given reliable service.

BUT I would also be investigating the AGM Batteries that Kedron now fit in the newer vans they can be drawn down lower in power and also charge up quicker and are also maintenance free as they are a sealed battery.

Most van co's are now going this way so there must be something in it over the wet cells.

I have also fitted these batteries into the 200 landcruiser as well and they work as a starter and a Aux battery seperated and I cant fault so far.

Regards

AGM batteries are the go, not so much for the fact that they are supposedly able to be discharged deeper than wet batteries, but for the fact that they recombine the gas and chemicals produced during discharge. This means that they can be sealed and not build up pressure as well as stay relatively cool.

While it is true that they can, in theory , be discharged a lot deeper than wet cells for the same loss of lifespan, it should be remembered that the less any battery is discharged, the longer it will last. For this reason, it is better to have four batteries discharge by 25% of their capacity than it is to have three batteries discharge by 33% of their capacity.

I recently saw a graph that showed that a typical AGM battery that is discharged to 50% capacity should last 2400 charge/discharge cycles. The same battery discharged to 80% of its capacity (ie discharged by 20%) will last 7200 charge/discharge cycles - a significant difference. A wet cell battery will typically last around 1000 charge/discharge cycles at 50% discharge.

So, hopefully I haven't baffled you with BS or blinded you with science but the short answer is AGM, and extend their life by monitoring your usage and installing plenty of capacity.

Cheers

Russ.

Hi Rudi

I am no battery expert by any means I think that you would need to be guided by the experts as to the best AGM's to buy and I think that you will find the AGM's slightly dearer than a wet cell would pay to shop around and maybe a ph call to kedron to ask what type they are using at present would be a good guide

regards

Hi Rudi

We have had 3 AGM's in our van since new in August 2005. They have been great with no problems.

They are Full River made in China. These batteries are also supplied by Springers the 12volt mob. They swear by them and have told me that they have never had to replace one for any reason since they have been selling them.

We have also had one in the car for the last two years as an aux battery without problems.

Good luck.

Rod and Mavis

Guest rws4711

thanks everybody for your advice in making a choice for the right batteries

I have purchased 3 Full River AGM 12 volt 120A/H from Springers in Tingalpa at $400.00

per batterie. Not cheap but hopefully worth the money.

Thanks again for your help

Rudi