Dometic Windows And Insects

Bruce and Sue

The above topic was posted by Lea & Rick.

We took delivery of our new ATV 2 in October 2008 and towed it back to Hobart down the Newell to Melbourne. Our last night on the North Island was Cobram on the banks of the Murray.

On setting up the van my wife opened the bathroom door to release masses of little insects, like the one's you see around rotting fruit, into the rest of the van. We had been towing all day and all windows were shut. Later in the evening I set up the tele with a couple of internal lights on and the insects were coming through in squadrons. Again all windows were shut, the only way to find some comfort was to have only one light on and blast the congregation from time to time.

I rang the Kedron boys when we got home and spoke to Ashley. He couldn't come up with an answer but refered me to Peter at Dometic in Brisbane.

Peter told me that the slits at the top and bottom of the windows served no purpose whatever and were purely cosmetic. His advice was to use No More Gaps, (a Selleys product) to fill the slits in.

Method - Close the blind and do the botton slits first, leave for about three days to let the application harden then open the blind and do the top of the window.

To do the job, an applicator for the no more gaps, a finger to smooth off the No More Gaps and a damp cloth to wipe over to clean any excess off are needed. Since doing the windows we have not been in a situation like we had at Cobram but the work makes the windows look a lot more pleasing to the eye. Have told Stan and Ashley at Kedron and they were most interested in the process.

Thats all folks,

Bruce :thumbsup:

I am grateful to Rick and Lea for this advice. I have heard similar stories from others of problems with the new windows. And yet others have said they had no hassles.

I will be keen to see what Kedron think about this, and if they will do the gap filling for us at the building stage.

Chris