Heading to Karijini National Park

knipie

We are planning on heading up to Karijini next month so was wondering if anyone has been there and what there thoughts were on the area. After that we are heading over to the coast and travelling back down south to home. All up planning on being on the road for 3 weeks and this will be our first time in the van for so long as we only usually do weekend away.

Will anyone be in that direction or area then as we would love to met up.

So excited 2 weeks to go......

g'day knipie,

We've been going to Karijini since way back when it was called the "Hammersley Range Nat Park". It is an excellent destination and you will be there at a great time of the year (not too hot).

Personally, I think you should allow no less than a week if you intend to see it all. Where do you intend to "hit the coast" when you leave there? We are currently at Cossack, approx 60Km from Karratha at the moment and will be untill the 12th June.

Happy travels,

Russ n Sue

Hi Russ & Sue, yes we plan to stay at least a week there to explore the area. Heading over to the coast around that time frame. We do have friends in Karratha but haven't decided whether we are calling in there.

Are you travelling north or south?

Regards

Fiona

Hi Fiona,

We're going north when we leave here. In our travels we have made many firm friends and we have an appointment with several of them to do Cape York this August. So it will be a pleasant 6 week amble across the Top (Savannah Way) to Cairns.

I hope to catch up with Kogger gazza_d somewhere along the way. He's coming over from Qld at the moment.

Cheers

Russ.

We went to Karijini a couple of years ago, with the old van (an ATV). We went up the inland route from Perth, heading in from Newman. After spending time at both Dales Camp and the other camp (forget its name) we headed to Millstream Chichester NP through the back road (gravel) passing Python Pool etc. It was a truly magic trip with marvellous views. We popped out on the coast to the north of Karratha.

I will attach a trip report I did on it at the time.

Chris

Stage_10_Perth_to_Karratha.pdf

Hello Knipie, (Carl & Fiona),

I travelled with a friend from Perth to Broome via Karijini in June 2004. We camped in Karijini for a very enjoyable couple of days. I agree with previous comments... I wish it had been at least a week! If you are able to, I would recommend the various climbs in and out of the gorges... very picturesque. The attached image was taken at the bottom of Fortescue Gorge. But even if you can't climb down and up, the views from above are still great.

I'm not sure if the webmaster allows this, and I understand if they do not... but if you would like me to post you a CD with some selected images of the sights, let me know a postal address by email to PhilipLDodd@yahoo.com.au

I hope you enjoy your trip.

Regards, OBdreamer.

post-465-1242812001_thumb.jpg