Trip planning advice

Blinky Bill

Hi all,

It’s time I made myself known to the group, I am the proud new owner of Sue and Anne’s Cross Country, I have wanted a Kedron for many years and that dream is now a reality. The good news is the tow vehicle is a spect up GQ patrol which I have had uprated to 3.5 towing capacity. A few delays with the re-engineering have prevented the short trips I had planned to become familiar with the van before our first real trip, so expect a few calls Sue. We are leaving in a few weeks and heading out from the Gold Coast to Barcaldine, Longreach, Winton, Boulia, Birdsville, Innamincka, Cameron’s Corner, Tibooburra, Broken Hill and back to the Gold Coast again.

This is my 4th van, having just sold a 22’ Kingdom to purchase the Kedron, so this is not new. I been an avid reader of this site for some time I have gleaned much interesting and useful information, hence now I would like to draw on the members experiences of the must sees and the don’t worry about on this trip. Any suggestions for the Strzelecki Track? We propose to free camp as much as possible and would also welcome any suggestions in this regard.

Thanks in anticipation.

John

Hi John,

Welcome to the group,

Wendy & I hope to meet you down the road one day, enjoy your travels........you will be doing it in style!

Hi all,

It’s time I made myself known to the group, I am the proud new owner of Sue and Anne’s Cross Country, I have wanted a Kedron for many years and that dream is now a reality. The good news is the tow vehicle is a spect up GQ patrol which I have had uprated to 3.5 towing capacity. A few delays with the re-engineering have prevented the short trips I had planned to become familiar with the van before our first real trip, so expect a few calls Sue. We are leaving in a few weeks and heading out from the Gold Coast to Barcaldine, Longreach, Winton, Boulia, Birdsville, Innamincka, Cameron’s Corner, Tibooburra, Broken Hill and back to the Gold Coast again.

This is my 4th van, having just sold a 22’ Kingdom to purchase the Kedron, so this is not new. I been an avid reader of this site for some time I have gleaned much interesting and useful information, hence now I would like to draw on the members experiences of the must sees and the don’t worry about on this trip. Any suggestions for the Strzelecki Track? We propose to free camp as much as possible and would also welcome any suggestions in this regard.

Thanks in anticipation.

John

Hi John.

Welcome to the Group. If to get as much enjoyment out of that van as Sue and Ann did, you'll be very pleased with it. Enjoy.

Peter & Margaret

Hello John and welcome to thr Kedron world.

You have a great trip planned. Gayleen and I wish you many k's of thorough enjoyment in the XC.

Regards

Hi John,

Firstly another welcome to the Koggers!

A few good camps and places along your way would be The Long Waterhole near Winton (Camps 5 359). At Cameron Corner travel 14km west to Bollards Homestead and purchase the mud map and directions to Innamincka ($10) along the old bore track. At Innamincka try the Town Common C5 705 it's a donation site on the Cooper Creek and you can drive the short distance into town to the public showers and toilets, showers about $2. Not to be missed is Coongie lakes about 100km NW of Innamincka. Not cheap as a Desert Parks pass is required (available at Innamincka) but worth every cent as sunset over the lakes with the birdlife is fantastic. The best spots are over the sand dune then you are right on the lake shore but I suggest walk over first then let the tyres down and go for it! Of course you will then visit the "Dig Tree". At Broken Hill don't miss the "Big Picture" in town or the Living Desert Reserve a few K's out of town.

You are gunna love that trip as we did.

Thanks Guys,

We are quite looking forward to the trip, but we are fast running out of time to get things organised before we leave.

Tess has a 19 y/o son working at "Marion Downs" a 1.4 million hectare station 60 km south of Boulia, so we will spend a few days there and we are looking forward to seeing him again.

Any further suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

John & Tess

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John

We have just done a car rally for the Royal Flying Doctor and we traveled from Cameron Corner across to the Strzeleki Track and down to Lyndhurst and the track is in very good condition. We did the trip in our Peugeot 504. A great spot to spend a night or two would be at the Strzeleki Creek crossing or at Montecollina Bore.

Cheers

Alan