Battery Chargers

Chris

We have just had our battery charger die on us - isn't it always the way, when you start on a long trip!!

The unit is a Victron Centaur. When the Top Ender was relatively new we had the same brand and model, installed new at the factory, die on us. Bainbridge Technologies replaced that unit for us. A second unit of the same make dying on us doesn't make us too happy or confident about replacing it with another.

Kedron say they have moved to Xantrex units, but have not heard of any particular problems with the Victrons.

It is possible that we have just had bad luck with the brand and that it is a coincidence that we have problems with two separate units.

(When the first unit died in Alice Springs, Val cunningly bought a small and cheap unit to tide us over until we got home, and luckily he brought it with us).

So anyone got any thoughts on what to replace it with? (We need around 60 amps in the charger). Anyone else had problems with the Victrons? Any brand which has given standout performance?

Chris

Hello Chris,

Is it the Solar Charge Controller ot the battery (240/generator) charger that has gone? My van is off the road at present. The Xantrex Solar Charge Controller is kaput and is to be replaced.

Tom at Kedron was a great help, again, and provided me a replacement Xantrex at a competitive price. The Xantrex box comes from the USA (they are however made in China) and there is only one importer. When I needed one there was not any in country and a shipment was due from the USA. Kedron do not use Xantrex anymore having changed to Redarc but they still had one or two which Tom promptly supplied. Thank you Tom!

Regards

Colin

No, it is not the solar charger but it is the 240volt 60 amp charger which has gone. Tom (who was very helpful) said Kedron was now using Xantrex units.

Chris

Chris,

Ok. I think Kedron must be now fitting the Redarc for Solar charging and still using the Xantrex for 240V. It is my Xantrex solar chargwe that I am replacing, hopefully tomorrow,

Regards to you andf safe travels.

Colin

Thanks Colin.

We have now spoken to Kedron and as they seem to have some Xantrex units on hand we will buy it through them. Springers don't have any available right now. The little $40 unit Val bought in Alice Springs two years ago is doing a sterling job, where the expensive Victorn units have both gone kaput. :angry:

Chris