gas hot water system

richard sheppard

Hi all. Just needing a little help or advice. Has anyone had any problem with their gas hot water system? Ours has been playing up now for more then a week. I rang a gas fitter in Katherine a week ago and he told me that maybe the solinoid may be playing up. Our van is only 18 months old and has done very litte work, this being the first off road trip that it has done. When I turn it on at the wall you can here it tring to ignite but can't, so I then turn it off and start again. Sometimes if fires up and sometime it won't. We are about to start the gibb river road on Tuesday. I have tried to reset it but am not sure if this is working or not as sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Any advice would be greatly appricated.Thanks Richard and Celeste.

Hi Richard & Celeste,

I assume it is a Suburban HWS. There were a few of these HWS sold with a cowl (external cover) that had insufficient spaces for air to allow the gas to ignite. You could try opening the whole cover to allow more air in. We know of a few people who had a similar problem and had the cowl replaced with the 'newer' design. Vacuum out any dust from time to time. Other than that, check your gas supply - but you have probably done that.

Hi Richard and Celeste

We have the problem occasionaly after a lot of dust.The fix I use is a fine needle or pin and a pair of needle nose pliers and give the jet a GENTLE reem out. It doesn`t take much to block them.A couple of piccies to help??!!

Cheers

Rick

post-108-0-75942800-1344727834_thumb.jpg

post-108-0-21967400-1344727853_thumb.jpg

Hi Richard,

We had the same problem, very frustrating. Our van is about the same age. Replaced the flue cover with the new design under warranty but it did not make a great deal of difference. In the end it came down to the flame sensor for our problem, it was not faulty it was just positioned incorrectly, too much in the cool part of the flame it is easily moved, a gas fitter did ours and now we have ignition first time 99% of the time for the last 6 months of so.

Just completed the Gibb enjoy the trip, it's fun out there.

John

Hi all, Thanks for all of your advice. I have no problem with my gas supply. Maybe I will ring kedron and see if they can change the flute. We have just completed the Savannah way and it was very dusty and corrigated. Before we left Townnsville I purchased some air conditioning filter for the gas vent to put in between the door and the screen it works well, maybe I will put some in the hot water compartment to try and elimate some dust.

John you mentioned that you have just completed the Gibb River road. Can you tell me how long ago that was. We have heard some horror stories about people doing three tyres, axels being broken, kitchens falling off the wall etc etc lol. Is it as bad as people are saying. We are in Kununarra at this time doing a flight over Lake Argyle and the Bungle Bungles tomorrow and heading to El Questro and across to Broome via the Gibb River road on Tuesday morning and would appreciate your insight.

Thanking you

Richard & Celeste

Hi Richard & Celeste

We had the same dramas with our new water heater.

Please see attached pics. This mod fixed the problem and it now lights first time every time.

Cheers from the Kyd's.

[post-36-0-49509900-1344765577_thumb.jpgattachment=1450:IMG_8091.JPG]

post-36-0-92821300-1344765535_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-92821300-1344765535_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-49509900-1344765577_thumb.jpg

Hi Richard,

My experience tells me you should focus on the flame sensor first, it easiest to do, it looks like a chicken wishbone in the flame chamber and has a single colored flexible spark plub like cable going to it. With some long nose pliers gently move it away from you a small amount each time until it ignites and remains burning. The warranty replacement door is obtained from Coast to Coast, trying your unit with the door open will give you a clue as to whether the flue is the problem or not.

Now the Gibb River Road, well we spent 18 days on the road between Kununurra and Derby, we didn't do Elquestro, Tunnel Creek or Windjana Gorge as we had done them last year, we arrived in Derby 9/8. In all we covered about 2,200km beginning to end, the van was with us for 1,400km at a guess.

The GRR itself is patchy some good some not so good, the parts with a stoney surface made me the most nervous as they all looked like a potential flat tyre. The corrugations were quite bad in places but generally they gave way to a more comfortable drive quickly enough. For us there were three speeds, 50kph, 70kph and then 80-90kph, most would have been at the mid speed.

Where the driving can become a real challenge is when you leave the GRR. Here's a brief rundown of the ones we went on, they are my own impression and that can vary between drivers. Where I say Ok other people have said terrible, depends on what your expectations are.

• Home Valley, Ok.
  • Ellenbrae, Ok.
  • Drysdale River, Ok. This was the only stop we we left the van at for a while and ventured off camping out in our rooftop tent.
  • Drysdale to Mitchell Plateau turn off (Kulumburu Road), Ok, graded just before we returned.
  • Kulumburu Road to Mitchell Plateau, it's been done with a van but I'm glad mine was at Drysdale.
  • Mitchell Plateau turn of to Kulumburu, the most testing drive, not much more than a track near Kulumburu, vans do it, but then they stay for the season and have been doing it for years. Be sure not to lob there on a weekend and if you do take your van make it worthwhile by staying for a while? We thought McGowans Island was the nicest camp spot if you can overcome the manager.
  • Mt Elizabeth, first 10km badly corrugated, then Ok.
  • Manning Gorge, Ok.
  • Charnley River, Ok, lovely spot, you won't see much grass on the GRR
  • Mornington, Ok
  • Silent Grove (Bell Gorge), bad parts, not one of DEC's better maintained roads

We had very few problems. No flat tyres and no mechanical disasters. A few loose screws, a battery in the LC that shook itself to the afterlife so I had to disconnect it. I caught the drop down step somewhere but managed to get it operating almost as new and luckily the cover for the A/C decided to finish the journey with us even though it had no screws holding it in place. Oh yeah and we have dust, not too bad though a quick whip around at ever stop keeps it at bay, will pressurise the van next time round I think.

Saw and heard of plenty of misfortune, one car not towing, 7 flats?? Offload camper with one side of independent suspension snapped of the chassis. Car doing nothing special flicked up a rock and ruptured an engine oil line $3,700 recovery by the RAC. You see all kinds and hear a whole lot more, just take it easy, be vigilant and you will pop out the other end and say to yourself that you shouldn't have been so worried.

Tyres seems the key, be good to them and be sure you have a good set, I have the same rims and tyres on the car and van so had three spares, thankfully I didn't need them, Goodyear Wrangler MT/R big lugs on the tread (which now have plenty of cut marks and bits missing) and Kevlar side walls. I ran them all at 28PSI except for the rear of the car which was 32PSI and we were at our maximum weight for car and van. I would not be so comfortable with the OEM tyres that were previously on the LC, tyres damage we saw seemed to be exclusively the realm of highway tyres coupled coupled with a lack of appreciation for the conditions and tyres pressures.

Sorry for the ramble, I hope it is of some value, enjoy the journey, it's fun, we will be in Broome for a month so we might see you sometime soon.

Drive safely

John

• 1 month later...

HI RICHARD

We have just changed over the hatch to the new modified one ,complements of Coast to COAST ,they also sent a modified flue to allow

more air flow, No more problems :)

Regards MAL.

Hi I would like to thank everyone for there help,advice and commences about the problems that we encountered on our trip across the Gibb river road with our gas hot water system. After ringing Tom at Kedron who was very patient with me and helpfull, we rang Coast to Coast RV'S and was speeking to Troy whom was very helpful.After trying every possible thing on the side of the road we finely eliminated it down to the gap between the igniter behind the gas shute going into the heating chamber. This gap was about 15 to 20mm so it would not jump across and the gas would build up in the chamber.When it would ignite there would be an explosion of gas and blowing out the flame. After two hours at the rest area at Mataranka and pulling out and trying every thing that we could try, Troy from Coast to Coast suggested to close the gap so that the spark could jump across. After closing this gap between the two probes to about 5mm it now fires up every time.Once again thanks. Richard and Celeste

post-989-0-65005200-1345188903_thumb.jpg post-989-0-05142100-1345189056_thumb.jpg

Hi I would like to thank everyone for there help,advice and commences about the problems that we encountered on our trip across the Gibb river road with our gas hot water system. After ringing Tom at Kedron who was very patient with me and helpfull, we rang Coast to Coast RV'S and was speeking to Troy whom was very helpful.After trying every possible thing on the side of the road we finely eliminated it down to the gap between the igniter behind the gas shute going into the heating chamber. This gap was about 15 to 20mm so it would not jump across and the gas would build up in the chamber.When it would ignite there would be an explosion of gas and blowing out the flame. After two hours at the rest area at Mataranka and pulling out and trying every thing that we could try, Troy from Coast to Coast suggested to close the gap so that the spark could jump across. After closing this gap between the two probes to about 5mm it now fires up every time.Once again thanks. Richard and Celeste