Cape York

Fred1

Hello,

I would like to get a bit of information on the possibility of taking a van on any of the east coast spots on Cape York and if the visit was actually worth the effort. Possible spots are Port Stewart, Iron Range(Chili Beach), Captain Billy Landing although I have heard this track is a bit overgrown with overhanging trees. Additionally, can you get a van into a free camp on the southern side of Canal Creek? I am sure some of the members can provide this information.

Thanks in advance.

Fred

Hello Fred1' welcome to the forum. We haven't been that way since 2009 when we did a 4WD (and tent) trip on the Old Telegraph Track. I would think you could get a van into Chilli Beach but the camp spots are not very big - we only saw camper trailers in the camping area See campspot review - http://www.lets-getaway.com/Review-Qld-Chili_Beach.htm

Captain Billy Landing track was becoming narrow with vegetation on the sides pinstriping the side of the Cruiser. We were informed that the 4WD tour buses had ceased going in there and those buses had kept the growth back - http://www.lets-getaway.com/Review-Qld-Captain_Billy_Landing.htm

Someone who has been up there more recently may be able to help you further. The link at the bottom after the photos should now be http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/jardine-river/index.html

• 1 month later...

Hello Fred1

Hope you don't mind my adding the following to your post.

Yesterday at the Perth caravan show I enquired at the Caravanning Qld stand about likely timing of access to Cape York this year towing my caravan.

To my surprise the man on the stand responded by virtually ridiculing any idea of taking my caravan up Cape York without even asking what type of van I had.

He told me the development road would be a muddy difficult mess until the end of June and after that would be a bull dust hazard and very busy with other traffic..

I was very surprised at the reaction I got and was left wondering if he was a radical type who wants to keep vanners out of remote areas.

Comments would be appreciated from those who have been up the Cape York peninsula.

Cheers

John

Hi Fred and everyone.

Mavis and I will be heading with the van to the Cape this year. Plan "A" is that we will be holed up at Wonga Beach for a couple of weeks until we hear that the road north is passable and that the weather deletes any nasties like rain or cyclones :rolleyes:

We are currently at Winton on the way to Isa then Burketown and back to the coast through Normanton via the Savannah way if possible.

Will keep you posted if you are not doing it this year. We can't wait but have to.