Info Required

Steve and Kez

Hello Fellow Koggers,

I would like some info on Karijini NP in the Pilbara WA please.

The best places to stay in or around the park with the van and a recommended time frame to stay so we can optimize our time there.

All info greatly appreciated

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve and Kez

Not far from Karijini National Park is a free camp (marked in the Camps Australia Wide book) called Albert Tognolini Rest Area. Definitely worth a stay. It's up a short hill climb, but the views from the top are amazing !

Not sure if you have pets with you, but when we were there we noticed on Karijini Drive about 11 kms from the turnoff into Karijini National Park (eastern access) a few caravans camped in an old gravel pit area GPS: 22 36 04 S 118 32 40 E on the E side of the road but off the road by about 200 metres. These people had some small dogs and it would appear they camped here, left the dogs and their van with others and went into Karijini NP for the day.

In Karijini NP we stayed at Dales Campground. Most of the things to see at the eastern end of Karijini National Park are close to the car parking areas (Circular Pool, Fortescue Falls and Fern Pool). You can walk down into and along the length of Dales Gorge, but pick your time of day as it is a 3 hour walk.

You can drive across to the western section of Karijini from Dales Campground for a day visit to Joffre Gorge, Knox Gorge, Oxer Lookout and Junction Pool Lookout.

Whilst in the area, don't miss Hammersley Gorge. We thought this one was the most beautiful of all the gorges at Karijini.

Thanks for the info Sue,

Is it best to set up base at 1 spot or is there a few spots to utilize?

Also, what would you say would be a decent amount of time to allow in the park? We were thinking about 3 nights/4days, but we can allow more if required.

Thanks once again Sue

Thanks again Sue

Your info is appreciated

Cheers

Steve

Thanks for the info Ann and Tony.

Tony................... I don't need anything for mozzies while I have Kerry around as they much prefer her to me which annoys the crap out of her. But I might let Kerry know ........ if I remember

Hi Tolley,

Yes I have to agree with you about it being a "Great part of our beautiful country" and we are looking forward to seeing it in real life instead of brochures. It is the last place on our list of things to see in WA.

In saying all of that, I do believe we have found a beautiful slice of paradise here in the Kimberley as it is far better living the area than just giving it a fleeting visit.

Cheers