What Holds Your Cabinet Work Together?

Zolle

Owners of newer Kedrons have you had a look at what holds your cabinets together? Have you put your head inside cabinets to see how they are built? Is the tin tack construction in the attached photos typical?

Has anyone had any problems with cabinets falling apart and side hinged overhead doors falling on their hinges as the screws pull out?

I still have to get Kedron reaction to my problems but decided to test the water with other owners first.

post-154-1206265772_thumb.jpg

post-154-1206265810_thumb.jpg

Hi Zolle ??

I understand that the joints are glued as well - out of curiosity what sort of joints are you expecting ??

We have a 2004 Cross Country and have had no problems with it and certainly no cabinet problems.

We took it on the Tanami, Mereenie Loop road and Plenty highway last year and was sitting on 70 - 80 km/hr for most of it so I didn't baby it - no dramas whatsoever but I was running 25 psi in van tyres. :thumbsup:

Kimbo has a 2006 or 2007 TopEnder and belted it around the Qld Gulf Country last year without any probs, will be interesting what others have to say.

Cheers

Darryl

Darryl

Mine have collapsed under the fridge where there were just 2 staples at the end of support members and no signs of glue. There is no sign of glue at any of the joints throughout the van. The drawer runners are supported by just 2 pins and no reinforcing pads nor vertical support.

I haven't been on a dirt road yet the only bit of rough is the Gregory Way.

I expected glued and screwed joints as a cabinet maker would use reinforced for dirt road work by extras such as in the photos. Not dry butt joints in soft pine wood only stapled together with a few pins.

I asked for responses from newer owners as I believe Kedrons reputation was built on very sound strong workmanship but is it the same now?

And Please Darryl don't go running off to your mates at Kedron with tales of this post.

Zolle?? Do you have a real name?

Just checked in my Feb 2007 build TE.

The fridge supports are all screwed not stapled.

I looked high and low for joints like in your photo but all were screwed to the frame. I did find a couple of stapled joints but these were only noggin style joints and the staples are not needed for support just to hold the timber in place. I can also see glue on these joints.

Quite happy with the build standard of my van.

If your not happy, I would think that discussing with Kedron initially would be the bext way for an amicable outcome rather than an attack on a public forum.

I'm not sure where you're coming from with your last sentence, and don't think it was necessary. Certainly not the way to get any help/support from KOG members.

David

Hi Zolle

As an owner of 2 Kedrons previously a ATV poptop 2004 and now a Topender 2006 I can’t say I have had any problems with the cabinet work at all. These 2 vans were used extensively offroad and to my knowledge my previous van is used still extensively off road and has not had any problems at all.

I just had a look at my Topender cabinet work and it is glued and stapled and also has a little bone shaped plug in the joins for added strength which I paid a premium price to get.

I see that you have the XC. I’m not sure of the build strength of the cabinets in the XC vans but I’m sure if you were to go and speak with the Galls they would be most helpful in remeding the issues you have.

I am also aware of some others who have had issues with their vans but when it all comes down to the facts you will usually find that it was the owners own fault ie tyre pressures too high, not driving the conditions etc.etc.

To date on this forum and from many personal discussions I have had with members, I have never heard any complaints I can think of, of cabinet work being faulty. Perhaps yours might be a one off and I think you really should talk to the Galls before asking the forum.

There is no need for a personal attack Darryl has his contact with the Kedron factory/sales yard would be to inform them of future gatherings should they wish to attend. Kedron keep an eye on this forum themselves and will most probably see your reply. We do NOT need comments such as that on this forum as we run it independently from the Kedron manufacturing side and they have no input into what is said on the forum.

Regards

Zolle

We have an ATV 2 which is almost 3 weeks old, and the cabinetry is all properly glued & screwed. The work is high class and looks great. We previously owned a 4 year old ATV which had seen some fairly rugged roads and never showed any sign whatsoever of fault or failure. As everyone agrees, talking to the Galls should be your first step.

Regards

Lea

zolle

We to are on to our 2nd Kedron. Number 2 van will be ready early April. We were at the factory

last wednesday & all of the internal work was finished,with A1`quality .

As everyone has said if you speak to the Galls first & let them know of your problems in a

non aggressive way then I am sure they will help get your van back on track.

But if you go in with the same type of confrontational attitude as you threw at Darryl then you

will probably find a brick wall.I feel it was most uncalled for to accuse him of being someone to

go & 'tell stories' back to the people that you really need to talk to.

We enjoy support , friendly banter & the ability to swap knowledge on this forum NOT putdowns.

Shane