GARY JUNCTION ROAD PLANNING DOCUMENT

Chris

Elsewhere on the forum I promised to provide a copy of the planning document I have prepared for both a previous trip across the Gary Junction Road as well as the forthcoming trip in June this year.

The attached document has contact details for the communities which provide fuel and (usually limited) groceries at the community stores.  I have detailed the camp sites we stayed at last time and will probably stay at again this time around.  The co-ordinates are provided but I offer them without any claim they are accurate...  I believe they are but use your own mapping facilities as well!

It will be noted that I have included details of Carawine Gorge as it is a lovely rest stop either before or after completing the GJR.

GARY JUNCTION ROAD FORUM.pdf

• Like 3

Hi Chris

Great planning.

When at Marble Bar, why not take a side trip to the old secret WW2 airbase about 70km south of town. It's an interesting place in the middle of nowhere and where a thousand or so men were based during WW2.

When at Carawine Gorge watch out for a couple of unhappy Bulls!!!!  And yes, watch out for the gravel areas on the creek bank, it's very soft underneath. The soft gravel impeded our progress to extract our Kedron and Landcruiser from the scene of 2 head butting bulls a few metres from us when we were camped there in 2010.

Cheers

Peter

3 hours ago, ATV42 said:

Hi Chris

Great planning.

When at Marble Bar, why not take a side trip to the old secret WW2 airbase about 70km south of town. It's an interesting place in the middle of nowhere and where a thousand or so men were based during WW2.

When at Carawine Gorge watch out for a couple of unhappy Bulls!!!!  And yes, watch out for the gravel areas on the creek bank, it's very soft underneath. The soft gravel impeded our progress to extract our Kedron and Landcruiser from the scene of 2 head butting bulls a few metres from us when we were camped there in 2010.

Cheers

Peter

It is funny you mention that WW!! airbase as I was only looking at it yesterday.  That would be worth seeing.  Yes, last year the bulls at Carawine were certainly present but none were fighting...