Hema HN7

Chris

We bought a HN7 unit yesterday at the Adelaide Caravan and Camping Show, from the ARB stall. We got a show special price but it is not cheap.... However, we have been trying to source the best price available and this was a good deal.

Friends who were with us on the GJR last year had the unit and it was very helpful indeed a couple of times when we were unsure how far it was to certain waypoints or which track to take. Our handheld GPSr had frozen up and we were not aware of the restore function at the time.  But it seems the learning curve is steep and from an initial look that seems to be the case.

I will have a play around with it and report back on how we find it after an initial play around with it on some nearby back roads.

I gather it is good for the street view application too? As in using it in the city or towns. At present we use a Tom Tom which is pretty easy to use.

How have others found the unit and are there any special tips on its use?

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

Do a search on You Tube there are lots of Hema tutorials there, I love my HN7 had it for probably two years now......still learning to use it.....lol

• Like 2

Hi Chris

They are a big learning curve.  We have the 6 and although a great unit I don't solely rely on it as we had a couple of instances that were intriguing, one up at the top of Cape York when it gave us the message that "due to our isolated location unable to verify current location".  We had it on Street and had to switch over to 4x4 mode and another occasion over in S.A where it took us around a 70km block in the Barossa Valley. It nearly went out the window that time.  A great tool but not all that infallible.

Cheers

Merv

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merv and Di said:

Hi Chris

They are a big learning curve.  We have the 6 and although a great unit I don't solely rely on it as we had a couple of instances that were intriguing, one up at the top of Cape York when it gave us the message that "due to our isolated location unable to verify current location".  We had it on Street and had to switch over to 4x4 mode and another occasion over in S.A where it took us around a 70km block in the Barossa Valley. It nearly went out the window that time.  A great tool but not all that infallible.

Cheers

Merv

I am told that in the 4WD section it is more reliable for bush tracks.  And yes, our small Barossa town has problems with mot navigators, including Tom Tom.  Instead of coming he it takes people out on a variety of back roads in the middle of nowhere.

• Like 1

Hello Chris,

I originally had the HNi5 HEMA which was great.  We upgraded to HN6 a few years ago.  As Gayleen thinks she is a navigator like Captain Cook, we have two of them, a his and a hers!  I always have mine on the topographical maps.  Gayleen uses hers mainly on topo but, when entering a town, she switches to street.  Very useful.  Hers is also used for searching Camps 8, caravan parks, gas stations etc.  Two might sound extravagant but she loves having her own.

Download the Naviextras programme and updating to the latest info is a breeze.

I reckon you will soon be wondering why you didn't invest in one long ago.

Regards

Colin

• Like 1