Hotwater Heater Anode Check Reminder

cvtripper

Just thought I'd put a reminder out there for everyone to keep a check on your hotwater anode.

You should check it at least once a year, possibly once every 6 months, depending on water quality.

I kept putting mine off and just checked the other day and it was down to the wire for about 1/3 of the length. Van is less than 18 months old. The corroded bits had broken off in the tank and I had to give it a good flush out to clear the gunk out.

Kedron didn't have any anodes in stock when I was over there the other day, however Camec stock them @ $32.

If you're not desperate, order 6 from http://www.rvingoutpost.com/specs.php?prod...tle=Anode%20Rod for $11 each. The postage isn't calculated correctedly when ordering but Julie sends an email confirming total price on ordering.

I ordered 6 for future use, but I don't think they'll arrive before we head off but the total cost came to AUS$80 ($12 shipping) as the AUS dollar is pretty good for buying from the USA at the moment. (Works out at about $13 each).

Hope this is of use to someone else.

Guest David & Debbie

Thanks for the helpful heads up David.

As a desk jockey, Im not sure how to go about inspecting & replacing the unit. I do remember reading something about it earlier.

Any chance of placing some Photo's & instructions in the hints, Tips, & Ideas section.

This would certainly help me & probably others in inspecting & changing the unit.

Many Thanks in anticipation

David & Debbie

Fellow Top Ender nearing two years old & not even looked at the element. OOPS!

OK, here goes.

1. MAKE SURE THE HWS IS TURNED OFF AND IS COOL and the pressure pump is off.

2. Open a HW tap to release any pressure.

3. Open the external HWS hatch. You need a 27mm socket or a shifter to fit the large nut on the front/ bottom of the HWS. (This is the anode)

4. Before you unscrew the nut make sure you have some teflon tape and if necessary, a replacement anode.

5. Remove the anode. If the anode is 75% eroded it needs replacing. 50% is still OK.

6. There will be a lot of smelly sludge in the bottem of the tank. If you can, tilt the caravan to the RH side by running it up on some wheel chocks so thAt more water runs out of the heater. Flush out the HWS tank with a hose.

7. Refit the anode and dont forget the teflon tape.

8. While youre there, if you have compressed air, blow out the gas heating chamber as this tends to fill with soot.

9. Turn the pump back on and let the air trapped in the tank out by opening the HW tap.

Job done.

I hope I didnt forget anything.

Regards'

Rosco

:thumbsup:

Because you sent that snake pick to me and it scared the crapper out of me and I am not scared of snakes either but that one got me :tongue_ss:

Regards

Just to add, some of us (ours is 2004 XC) have the Truma Boiler and they do not have a sacrificial diode. It is mainly the Suburban and some Atwood storage water heaters that have the diode.

BUT a timely reminder for anyone going on a long trip to have one as a spare. Thanks to all :biggrin:

• 2 months later...

Just thought I'd bring this to the top because a few people asked me at Millmerran.

The final price was $84 after currency conversion and postage fees, which works out at $14 each.

They arrived 8-9 days after the order was placed.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi to all,

Just to back up previous comments, last Monday I ordered 5 Suburban anodes from www.rvingoutpost.com I arrived home tonight (1 week later) a parcel had arrived from the 'USA'. Five anodes as ordered, well packaged & very well priced. Very happy with the service, will definately buy from this company again! :thumbsup:

Tony H

Congewai.

19'6" ATV #848

Toyota 200 TTD

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I was about to ask how we could order some new anodes, did a search and found this useful information, previously supplied by CVTripper. Very helpful, thanks. Also thanks to Rosco for his extra detail.

This info may well be useful for others.

Chris

Thanks for the reminder, Chris.

I meant to change mine before we left but ran out of time. I'll check it next time we stop where there is plenty of water.

Currently on the Keep River accessed from Kununurra but back in NT, catching salmon in crab pots!