Airtronic Diesel heater Installation

the crow and i

Hi Brian.

Have a look at the attached web site should answer you questions. http://www.caravansplus.com.au/catalog/pro...roducts_id=9235

Your combustion air should come from outside as should your exhaust be ducted outside.

The cabin air to be heated is from inside the van.

Good luck and regards.

Rod and Mavis

Brian

I gotta ask.

How have you lived so long with a handle "the crow and I" mate I would be hung out to dry and talking real hi if at all :biggrin:

Steady Lady.

"The nagger" is a pure term of endearment if that is to what you refer nothing like "The crow and I". My God Bryan is brave :biggrin: .

Bryan,

Some owners with diesel air heaters have placed one vent in the shower cubicle (if you have one) and this gives them an option for a drying room for clothes (as well as warm the shower on those chilly mornings).

The other vent's placement is often so it can blow air the full length of the van - if you have a front kitchen then one may be placed under the sink area and blowing up the aisle you walk through the van or alternatively if at the back of the van then under the bed facing down the aisle.

For comfort the exhaust hose is placed on the offside of the van away from the annex/awning area.

Those in the group who own one may comment further.

Hi Bryan,

These would have to be one of the best accesories you could ever fit to your van. A few things I would like to suggest you keep in mind when installing this unit

1. Be aware that the pump 'ticks' when operating, not normally a problem unless when mounting it under the van its under a bed....can be annoying having the ticking noise while trying to sleep (who's going to tell me you shouldnt have it running while you sleep).

2. Operating noise (exhaust & air inlet) isnt whisper quiet, be considerate when using near other vans.

3. Very important....make sure the exhaust isnt directed towards any long grass or anything flammable!!

4. I have removed the inline filter that fits into the bottom of the fuel tank as it blocks to easily & is difficult & messy to service...in its place I have fitted a disposable inline filter just before the pump. I have found this to be a much better idea but do remember that if you do go this way may sure it is out of harms way from flying stones as the filter is of plastic construction....depending on its position you may need to make up a little shield to protect it. (change filter annually regardless of usage, only 3 or 4 bucks each )

5. On a visit to the factory to get a couple of things attended to on the van, we arrived back to pick it up & a vent panel had been fitted to the door (of the area where the 'furnace' is) under the fridge. Ashley advised us it lets it breath easier (the furnace).???

6. Dont store anything around the furnace....common sense I know.

7. Depending where you live or use the van plug the exhaust & air inlet when not in use....we have a problem with mud wasps in our area building nests in small out of the way dark places.....also pluging the inlet & exhaust is a good idea if doing deep water crossings.

CU down the road

Concur with Tony H

Be very careful where you install the main body of the unit as it will sence the temperature of the environment in which it lives. The thermostat sensor is in the inlet of the module.

The concequence of this is if it is in a cupboard the outlet ducting will be hot which also passes through the cupboard so the unit thinks that the desired operating temperature has been reached and will back off the heat. Thus not giving a satisfactory temp. increase in the van.

The way to rectify this is with a ducted inlet to the heater from a remote point in the cabin.

Good luck.

Mavis and Rod

Tony H

I intended to install the heater under the bed with the hot water unit (single beds) and duct thru the cupboard, under the fridge and into the shower.

I am having second thoughts under the fridge sounds good no noise less space loss.

Is it possible you could email some pictures of your system?

bryanhawke@aol.com

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Cheers

Bryan & Erna

Hi Brian,

I'm currently in the Tanami/Great Sandy Dessert working, the van & truck are back in Broome, so unfortunately it is a little difficult to send you photos of my heater installation.

My heater was factory installed.

Our heater is installed under the fridge which is right beside the ensuite, one of the heater outlets opens into the ensuite right near the loo.

The other outlet is under/near the stove. As you will be aware there are so many different van layouts & I think you will have to have the final say on the positioning & outlets for your setup. Keep in mind, the performance of these units is very good, you dont (I believe) need to have the air flow directed to say when you are sitting at the lounge or the beds when you are in bed. Just have the outlet facing in the general direction you are in & before long you will be as warm as toast....they work sooooo well.

If I can suggest ....keep in mind the volume of air generated by the unit isnt huge ....so the length of ducting is important (short as possible) try & keep the number of bends in the ducting to a minimum to minimise the loss/reduction of airflow.

One thing I forgot to mention in the previous post.... when installing/routing the fuel line under the van the factory install tean placed the fuel line inside a sleeve (plastic water hose/pipe) to reduce the possibility of chaffing & possible damage by flying stones.

Hope this helps.

CU down the road

Bryan,

we had one installed in our previous van as a post-build arrangement (see here for some photos of the unit in our van).

We have had another incorporated in the build of the current van - a Top Ender- and the positioning is slightly different, but substantially the same. In both cases we had an outlet in the bathroom to warm up the cubicle before a shower and to use as a drying cabinet in wet weather; and also we had the on/off switch put close to the bed. This means we can turn it on in the morning BEFORE getting out of bed.

We think they are the best thing since sliced bread.

Chris

• 1 month later...

Chris

Well the heater is in and working, I only have to cover the tank with ally plate to match the van.

As usual the job was not straight forward and to fit the tank I had to alter the rear bar work for the spare wheels so I bit the bullet and hinged them.

A big job but I am happy with the result, thanks again for all the help

Cheers

Bryan

Bryan,

If you vented warm air into the shower - make sure the vent is covered when using the shower. Close the vent and cover it with the shower curtain. I have heard since my last post here that water can get into the vent hose and cause damage to the heater which is unlikely to be covered under warranty.