Eyre Peninsular in the New Year

RussnSue

Hi all,

Sue and I will be starting our Summer trek mid December and plan to do the Eyre Peninsular this time. We leave the Pilbara on December 16 and will head to Ningaloo Station for a week, followed by New Beach/Bush Bay (near Carnarvon) for a few days, a few days with our Son in Geraldton and finally heading east for Sarf Ostraya.

If any other Koggers are planning to be in the area between about mid-January and the end of February, let us know and we'll try to rendezvous. Also, we are after tips for good places to stay (free or low cost camping - we aren't into caravan parks). Most importantly, if you know a place where there really are fish, that would be nice to know as well.

Cheers

Russ

We will be down that way somewhere, but we are not sure where.

At this stage we are planning to leave Brisbane early in January and arrive down that way sometime in January. We have no fixed plans of where we are going to go, but we want to catch some crabs.

Maybe we will cross paths.

We have just returned this week and can advise that the crabs were thick in Smokey Bay (caravan park, though).

$5.00 per night stay at Haslam midway between Smokey/Steaky Bays is a good spot, as is Perlubie Beach, Farm Bay,

Point Lowly and our favourite - Liscomb Bay.

Fishing wasn't great (too cold) but there were some big snapper caught at Point Lowly, though we arrived the day before

a month fishing ban started!

Just some of our favourite spots, though there are many more.

Have a great trip, everyone.

Ian

Thank you, Ian and Jill, for the tips about where to stay and what is being caught. Yumm...crabs....I could eat 'em until I break out in boils.

Eric and Jodie, like you, we have no firm plans but will PM you when we get down that way and keep in touch that way. We've got about seven weeks to do what we want to do, so we should be able to wangle a quick hello somewhere.

Cheers

Russ

RussnSue,

Eyre Peninsula and the wind go together of course.

Places we remember are a great spot up on the sand dunes overlooking a small bay 200M past Tractor Beach (608 Camps 5). A magnificent view on a bare rocky headland 150M above the sea at Sheringa Beach (590 Camps 5) on LH side about 700 or 800M past the designated camp place, walk before you park here as these headlands are pocketed with caverns underneath. Port Gibbon ( 560 Camps 5) has many spots where you are right on the water and on your own, some dirt but bitumen not far away.

There is a car ferry between Wallaroo (Yorke Pen) and Cowell if you don't want to take the long road around through Port Augusta. If you go to Pt Augusta then south towards Adelaide, the road through Horrock's Pass, steep pull up the pass, to Melrose and back onto the main road through Murray Town, windy road follows old bullock track, to Port Germein is a pretty run. There is a good camp at the showgrounds north of Melrose (357 Camps 5.

Grahame & Wendy

Hi Russ, what did yesterday's 40 plus degrees get to you? :o Sorry, I am just envious that you are able to leave our summer and head south. Will you be back next year?

I am leaving Karratha next Tuesday to take our Kedron down to Geraldton for the cyclone season - we have done as many mods as we can up here and now it's time for it to go, unfortunately Ian has to hang around for more work so after I have done some Christmas shopping I will have to come back. :lol:

We will be heading over east next Easter but time will tell whether it will be a short 6 week trip or whether we will be able to do another major one, might see you on the road somewhere.

Sue

Karratha WA

Whoops forgot to mention that if you are looking for somewhere to stop just outside of Port Lincoln don't go past the Apex Club, we were there last November and they asked us to spread the word amongst fellow caravanners. Great people, lovely large flat grassy area with some shade and use of the facilities if required. $5.00 per night if I remember correctly.

Cheers

Sue

RussnSue,

Eyre Peninsula and the wind go together of course.

Places we remember are a great spot up on the sand dunes overlooking a small bay 200M past Tractor Beach (608 Camps 5). A magnificent view on a bare rocky headland 150M above the sea at Sheringa Beach (590 Camps 5) on LH side about 700 or 800M past the designated camp place, walk before you park here as these headlands are pocketed with caverns underneath. Port Gibbon ( 560 Camps 5) has many spots where you are right on the water and on your own, some dirt but bitumen not far away.

There is a car ferry between Wallaroo (Yorke Pen) and Cowell if you don't want to take the long road around through Port Augusta. If you go to Pt Augusta then south towards Adelaide, the road through Horrock's Pass, steep pull up the pass, to Melrose and back onto the main road through Murray Town, windy road follows old bullock track, to Port Germein is a pretty run. There is a good camp at the showgrounds north of Melrose (357 Camps 5.

Grahame & Wendy

Hi Russ, what did yesterday's 40 plus degrees get to you? :o Sorry, I am just envious that you are able to leave our summer and head south. Will you be back next year?

I am leaving Karratha next Tuesday to take our Kedron down to Geraldton for the cyclone season - we have done as many mods as we can up here and now it's time for it to go, unfortunately Ian has to hang around for more work so after I have done some Christmas shopping I will have to come back. :lol:

We will be heading over east next Easter but time will tell whether it will be a short 6 week trip or whether we will be able to do another major one, might see you on the road somewhere.

Sue

Karratha WA

Hi Sue n Russ

5 years ago which was pre=Topender Gail & I spent 2 weeks at a little caravan park at Venus bay ( Sth of Streaky Bay) I appreciate your comment that you are not partial to van parks as I am now with the Topender, but if you want squid,whiting and crabs this is an unreal spot. You want to know where fish and crabs are... well how does this sound - drop your tinnie at the ramp (small sandy beach) travel 500mts from the ramp catch some of the biggest squid I've seen, use tentacles for bait to catch some of the nicest whiting I've eaten while you have your drop net over the side catching Sand crabs!!!Sand crabs have 2 big black spots on their back and believe me they are tastier than the blue swimmer crab that are also prolific in S.A.

Also dont forget another fantastic experience is at Baird Bay where you can swim with the dolphins and sea lions... unbelievable if you are up for that stuff.

Eyre is on my Bucket list to do AGAIN.

Have fun

D&G

Hi Sue n Russ

5 years ago which was pre=Topender Gail & I spent 2 weeks at a little caravan park at Venus bay ( Sth of Streaky Bay) I appreciate your comment that you are not partial to van parks as I am now with the Topender, but if you want squid,whiting and crabs this is an unreal spot. You want to know where fish and crabs are... well how does this sound - drop your tinnie at the ramp (small sandy beach) travel 500mts from the ramp catch some of the biggest squid I've seen, use tentacles for bait to catch some of the nicest whiting I've eaten while you have your drop net over the side catching Sand crabs!!!Sand crabs have 2 big black spots on their back and believe me they are tastier than the blue swimmer crab that are also prolific in S.A.

Also dont forget another fantastic experience is at Baird Bay where you can swim with the dolphins and sea lions... unbelievable if you are up for that stuff.

Eyre is on my Bucket list to do AGAIN.

Have fun

D&G

Sue & Russ

The bay is usually very calm so kayak fishing is not a problem, but as with any water way wind from the wrong direction can make things rather nasty. No need to skin the tentacles for the whiting, we kept only fish over 30cm and got heaps. Dont forget to use a "wittle wed whiting hook". In this caravan park they have cleaning tables for your catch frequented by dozens of pelicans so a lovely experience can be had by all.

Cheers

D&G

Hello Russ,

Great to read that you are getting the van out and taking a long trip. The Eyre Peninsular is great especially from Port Lincon and north-west. I envy you your trip. For me, I am sitting here writing a response to a government tender! Great fun! Wish I was back on the road with the TE in tow.

Hello to Sue. Travel safely and have a great time.

Regards

Colin & Gayleen

G'day Colin and Gayleen

You are right, it's been too long since the Kedron was last used. Having said that, the year seems to have zoomed by and it feels like only yesterday that I was chatting to you both on the side of the road. I followed the remainder of your adventures by keeping up with your blog. It has inspired Sue and I to do the same during our upcoming trip. I'll post a link to the blog once we are started.

We are certainly looking forward to doing the Eyre Peninsula. South Australia has been a bit neglected by us in the past and this is just the start of several trips that we have planned for that State. The next big trip after the upcoming one will be to the Yorke Pen., The Fleurieu Pen. and Kangaroo Island.

All the best,

Russ n Sue

Don't forget while in SA to buy a National Parks (SA Govt) two month pass, which covers all park entry and camping as well (except for Kangaroo Island and the Simpson Desert NP in the north of the state). It costs about $50 and you can recoup your money in a week of camping - or less! It covers Coffin Bay NP and Lincoln NP near Port Lincoln. Both are gorgeous places and with your pass would be free camping. You would be able to buy it at any Ranger station - do a Google.

We have the annual pass for $100 - wonderful value.

Chris

Don't forget while in SA to buy a National Parks (SA Govt) two month pass, which covers all park entry and camping as well (except for Kangaroo Island and the Simpson Desert NP in the north of the state). It costs about $50 and you can recoup your money in a week of camping - or less! It covers Coffin Bay NP and Lincoln NP near Port Lincoln. Both are gorgeous places and with your pass would be free camping. You would be able to buy it at any Ranger station - do a Google.

We have the annual pass for $100 - wonderful value.

Chris

Thanks Chris

Have "Googled" and will pick one up at Ceduna.

Cheers

Russ n Sue

And don't forget Mambray Creek Campground, which is in Mount Remarkable NP, just 50 kms south of Pt Augusta, just a few kms in from the Highway (on sealed road). It has hot showers and toilets, in a beautiful setting. And all free when you have your parks pass! But it can get warm in those parts in Summer....

Chris

Sounds great Russ and Sue. We look forward to it..

Thanks all others for great tips on places to stay... I have made many notes.

Eric and Jodie, like you, we have no firm plans but will PM you when we get down that way and keep in touch that way. We've got about seven weeks to do what we want to do, so we should be able to wangle a quick hello somewhere.

Cheers

Russ