Caravans & Trucks Sharing the Road

morribm

I haven't asked permission from the forum concerned but since it's open source, I suspect it will be OK.

This is an excellent post relating to the Topic Title and will undoubtedly be of interest to most caravanners ...

/>http://www.bushtrackerownersgroup.asn.au/Forum/View.asp?ForumQID=7964&Page=%2FForum%2FDefault.asp%3FDisplaySet%3DActive%26PN%3D1

Excellent article , We have had 60 odd years driving semis and vans full time , know the problems truckies have.. so well.

I know a lot of BT owners review our forum as we review theirs, and why not they are both good sources of information for like minded people. So I can't see any problem passing on information of this nature if it helps or may even save a life.

I use a basic rule when on the highways our UHF scans 18/40 continuously , if I am in traffic with a lot of trucks I try to keep up to the speed limit (if safe to do so) and when room is available like overtaking lanes or a clear run give the trucks behind notice that I will slow down and let them get around, this seems to work pretty well and I am sure they appreciate it.

cheers :)

I know a lot of BT owners review our forum as we review theirs, and why not they are both good sources of information for like minded people. So I can't see any problem passing on information of this nature if it helps or may even save a life.

I too look at a number of forums which are likely to contain travel information of value to me, including the BT site. And I agree that we are like minded travellers and should be openly sharing information. We are all out there for the same reason - to enjoy this great country, experience the outback and to share the journey with others at times. There is more that unites us than divides us!

Chris

Good article. Thank you.

I always monitor Ch 40 and never Ch 18. I have found the truckies to be great....very helpful, full of info on road conditions etc, and happy to help me get past them or vice versa. If they come up behind me, I call them and have a chat and ask them to tell me what I can do to get them past. They have, without exception, been great. I regularly chat to the drivers when I meet them at refuelling stops. Italk to them about caravans and the things they like us to do and not to do. It is all about communications and that means you need a CB on Channel 40!

Colin

Fully agree with Tolley, and have found that generally the truckies are good if you communicate with them in advance.

However sometimes I have turned the uhv off because of the foul language they use between each other :(

This does seems to be more common on the Albany Highway Albany -Perth than elsewhere :unsure:

John