Draw Latches

Danny and Sue

Wondering if anyone has come up with a plan to stop draw latches breaking??? i have all draws adjusted up but still break the top 2 [& others occasionally]on dirt roads..Tyres are down as is speed.resorted to bunngie strap inside the top draw on the way home.worked ok but not really ideal..Sick of travelling with the draws on the bed..

Regards Danny

Hi Danny,

I broke 3 draw latches on the Stezelecki Track and found that the contents in each draw were bouncing up under the latch and breaking it off on the rough roads.

I swapped the latches from less used draws and either padded under the latch (taped a bit of foam rubber)and if practical moved the contents of the draw forwards away from under the latch and filled the space under the latch with something soft like a rolled up tea towel as a temporary measure to get us home. A more permanent solution would be to fix some padding immediately under the latch.

Regards

Nev

I had the same problem on the Gibb River Road and David told me I had too much weight in the drawers. I halved the contents of the drawer and still had the same problem.

I realised that the drawer slides fitted by Kedron allow the drawers to move excessively and the constant movement on rough roads eventually breaks the catch.

I have modified the drawers and fitted roller ball drawer slides that also have a rubber stopper that holds the drawer closed when it is fully closed.

I have had no problem since.

The roller ball drawer slides are readily available. I bought mine from Galvins Hardware in Perth.

Regards

Colin

Thanks Colin.

That is exactly my problem.Tom is very good & sends more latches but it does not solve the problem.

wondering if may be able to post some pics [more the better] on this site as it is a problem most Kedron owners who travel on some rough roads will encounter.

Cheers Danny

Slightly OT....

The boys at Brendale build a great product, but with all the feedback & constantly handing out new latches, you would think that they would have come up with a 'new' latche system

Hello,

We, too, have suffered the problem. However, on our recent 13,000 km trip from Cairns across the Outback Way, the Pilbra, Kimberley GRR again, Savannah Way back to home, we did not have a problem. Others did and I gave away my spare latches to them. Packing the drawers carefully obviously helps but I have found that by running a line of silicon from the wood and up the barrel of the latch, especially over the black lock nut, the problem largely goes away. I reckon the trouble is that the vibrations causes the black locking nut to work lose and that leads to the draw opening etc. Anyway, it costs nothing, is very easy to do and has certainly helped us.

Regards

Colin

Hi all,

Colin, would you mind providing a pic of your fix for this. We are departing shortly for places unknown and would prefer the drawers didn't fly open...lol

Thanks

Chris

Hello Chaps

The piccies are of Kedrons fix for the problem, done about 4yrs ago. We have had NO problems since.

Cheers

Rick & Lea

post-108-0-50894000-1378364881_thumb.jpg

post-108-0-31565700-1378364906_thumb.jpg

post-108-0-31984900-1378364925_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

Attached some pictures of the mods I made to the kitchen drawers. I have had no problem with other drawers.

My van already had the wood inside the drawers as shown by Rick & Lea from new, however, I still had a number of broken catches.

We used to take the drawers out and put them on the floor wrapped in blankets to prevent damage when they fell out.

I have had no broken catches since this mod.

Regards

Colin

post-186-0-42443800-1378383298_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-22979800-1378383320_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-47877900-1378383338_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-98153200-1378383358_thumb.jpg

Hi All,

Our 2009 ATV had the same fix as Rick's but we still had drawers on the floor after travelling on rough roads. Not those drawers!!! the ones holding cutlery etc. Anyway the problem was that there was a gap of about 6mm between the bottom of the front of the drawer and the small pieces of wood. I removed the pieces of wood and reattached them up about 6mm and in contact with the drawer. No more problems as the drawers can no longer bounce up and down on rough roads. Since the fix we have done the Outback Way, Oodnadatta, and Birdsville tracks with no more problems. There is more than one way to skin a cat but I found this simple and easy and sure beats packing the drawers with cushions or whatever to try and achieve the same result (no bounce).

Just spent yesterday moving all the wooden blocks on ours so the draws cant move around. Hope it works, leaving for parts unknown in 5 weeks. Guess I will find out soon enough....lol