Toilet Chemical

Jacky Jacky

I'm looking for feedback on what toilet chemicals people use for their Thetford toilet cassets. We have used the Thetford green and pink chemicals but find the smell from the green one too overpowering. I see they also have a blue colour one but haven't used that.

In particular I would like to know:-

1. Does anyone use Biomagic and if so what do you think of it. We don't like anything with too strong a scent.

2. Has anyone used the Thetford blue chemical and if so does it work?

2. We are looking for an environmentally friendly 'biodegradable' chemical so we can empty into say a drop toilet in the bush without upsetting its natural breakdown of the waste. So any other suggestions and if so where do you buy it from?

Hi Ann,

We've used the green but have recently switched to the blue to try it out.

We've found it seems to breakdown the "goods" a lot better and doesn't smell anywhere near as much when emptying - I wouldn't go so far to say it has made it a pleasant experience I look forward to, but it is no longer a bother. Seems to be a stronger mixture but without the odour.

We tried some enviromentally safe "chemical" once and that was disasterous!

Also tried the tablets and wasn't pleased with the results there either.

Haven't tried Biomagic.

We'll stick with the blue.

Why not give it a try - under $10 for 1 litre (I think - could be 2 litre) bottle at BCF - what have you got to lose?

We have used Biomagic almost exclusively for two or three years, but don't think it is much of an improvement on the other substances. It seems to have about the same lasting power as the Thetford...meaning not too long in hot weather. I have heard that you must make sure the tank is scrupulously clean before using Biomagic for the first time. It's main benefit is that its environmentally friendly of course.

Chris

Hi to all

We did try the Biomagic and found that its deodorant properties were not as good as Thetford green.

A major discovery on our part recently was that Thetford chemicals only have a useful life of 7 day's max after use in the toilet before losing their deodorant properties.

Havn't tried the blue as we know that the green works to Mavis's satisfaction (a major bonus for Rod :thumbsup: )

Rod

G'day Team,

We have been using Thetford blue all along and found it to make a questionable task almost acceptable.

However we recently bought a litre of green (haven't used it yet) to try in an attempt to explore better opportunities - sounds like that wasn't a really smart decision.

Would be good though to have a product that did the job, was acceptable to the nostrils and dosn't screw around with all those good little organisms in the different systems where we are likely to deposit what we no longer need.

We did try another brand once (all we could get in a country town - cannot remember the name) and that was a shocker! SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) made me dispose of the balance of the contents in the garbage bin. I now ensure I am carrying plenty of spare pink & blue in particular with us these days.

We have also learnt that it isn't nice to lay the van up for a coupla weeks without emptying out and re-loading the cassette before doing so.

Roger

Hi all

In our ATV for two, we switched to BioMagic over 12 months ago, mainly because its septic safe and can be used in long drops.

They have a good website so try www.biomagic.com.au for more info. Its about $33 for 1L and about $100 for 4L.

Like Chris says, the holding tank needs to be clean and free from other chemical residue. We use about 20ml in the holding tank, and another 20ml in the top tank to freshen things up. Works well for us.

Peter & Margaret

(ATV42)

We've been using BioMagic for the last six months - firstly in a Porta Potti, and then in the loo cassette. The only time we've had any smell at all is when it's very hot. I wouldn't go back to the Thetford chemicals, because of the ability to dump now in septics, toilets etc. It makes an unpleasant job a little bit more acceptable.

Cheers

We also use BioMagic because we can safely dispose of the cassette contents in septics and down long drops. We have come across a couple of caravan parks that will ban vans that empty cassettes containing chemicals in their dump points - especially in country areas where septic systems are used. This also applies to "home brews" containing Pine-O-Clean or Bleach. A few times we have had problems obtaining big bottles, but if you ring their 1300 number they will send you the product. We now buy the large bottles.

Peter

Guest Peter Wise

We have generally found that the chemicals available from general camping and boating shops tend to be expensive and have for the last few years used the industrial concentrate called Anotec Blue.

This is available from Anotec P/L, at Botany Sydney, Tel 02 9751 3100. They have a website. I forget the price but I have been working through a 5 litre container for some years as it is very concentrated, and you only need a tablespoon full. They also gave me a bottle of odour spray to try which is very effective for all uses.

Obviously this is a personal choice but we find it effective both from economics and effectiveness.

Peter Wise

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

We also found the chemicals very overpowering in the scent department.

We came across some tablets "odour b gone" (came across it in the Caravan World magazine) which we have been using for approx 1 year now. There is no smell and they are environmentally friendly and you can use it for all sorts of things - not just the toilet. They advise that you use half a tablet for up to 4 days or a whole tablet for 7 days - I find it best to empty the toilet after 5 days for no smells.

I have attached the website link for your info on what you can use it for and where you can purchase it. I first purchased it by contacting Coastline Trading at Raby Bay Qld and having it mailed. Otherwise you can purchase from the Caravan and Camping Show, but can't remember which stand it was.

I know of someone who uses the biomagic and they find it works well by adding natural yoghurt.

http://www.odour-b-gone.com.au/

Cheers

Deb B