Solar Panels & Generator

Gilly

We have just placed an order for an ATV and yet to even decide on a layout! But we are keen to hear from other owners regarding the need for 3 or 4 x 130w solar panels and 3 or 4 120a/h batteries. We will have a 32l Engel Fridge as well as standard 12v appliances. Although the Engel will not be used all the time, I am sure this will be an excess drain on the standard 3 x Solar Panels & Batteries. We also intend to buy a generator but are in two minds to purchase the 2kva Honda or 2.4kva Yamaha. All feedback will be greatly appreciated.

:helpsmilie:

Thanks

Pete & Lyn

G'day Pete and Lyn,

We elected to go with the four panels and four batteries. I could go in to the science of the decision but to simplify it, we wanted to cover the possibility of prolonged cloudy periods. I know that the generator can be run but we wanted to avoid that situation if possible. (Born again greenies, I guess.)

We got the 2.4KVA Yamaha. I was concerned that the Honda was just too underpowered if the aircondtioner was being run. If you look at the specs, the aircon is actually 3.2 kW, so theoretically even the Yamaha should be struggling, but the aircon only uses the maximum power in short bursts. It is well documented elsewhere on this forum that the Honda has struggled to run the aircon.

Our van is now just over 6 months old and I fired up the Yamaha today, for the first time. I figured that I had better test it while it is still under warranty. I was very pleasantly surprised at how quiet it is.

If I were you, I would spend the extra money on the additional solar panel and battery IF you are going to spend extended periods in your van away from a 240 Volt supply. This is particularly true if you want to run an additional 'fridge.

Don't forget that no matter how quiet your generator is, there are many places around Oz where they are not allowed to be used. As to which generator to get, they are both the same price, so it comes down to your personal preference.

Cheers

Russ n Sue

Like Russ and Sue, we have the four panels and four batteries, as well as a 2.4 Yamaha. As stated, there is well documented evidence of the Honda being inadequate to run an aircon in very hot weather (when it is most needed). We asked Kedron to omit the slide so we could fit the Yamaha into the generator hatch.

We gave the Honda away, we were so disappointed in it (just left it in the old van when we sold it).

We love national park camping, and most often you are not allowed to run a generator, so the extra battery and solar capacity is a god send. We have an 1800 watt Xantrex inverter to run the washing machine and microwave, if we ever need them. (In short bursts only!).

Solar power is addictive - you always want more. I want more!!

Chris

Add a couple of extra panels and you can do all the washing you like, as long as you have water...

Never used the genny to charge the batteries ;-)

Water always becomes the issue with only 2 x 80L shower tanks - get these increased if you can.

Hi Gilly,

We have 4 X 130W panels as well and have never been short of power. Consistently pumping in more amps than we use during the day, even on an overcast day. Very happy so far.

We have the Honda genny as a backup. All bases covered. The Honda JUST runs the aircon. You can't fire up the aircon and have the battery charger fired up as well. If I had my time again I would do away with the slide and buy the Yamaha. I actually was under the impression that the genny stayed on the slide during use, not so.

Hi Gilly,

Interesting reading, we are in the process of going through our set up with Stan at present. Plenty of time we have put our delivery back till October or November when we get back from visiting our son in the UK.

We had 3 x 120 panels on our XC and had no problems using a 550 w inverter but would appear that most people are suggesting 4 x 4 solar battery combo.

We are staying with the 3 x 130 panels and 3 batteries. At the show in Brisbane I had a good look at the Yamaha 2.8 which is actually lighter, cheaper and smaller than the 2.4 and db is marginal to the human ear.

2.8kw - 29kg, 11 litre fuel tank, 60/67 db, 12.2 a, 2.5 kva no DC outlet

2.4kw - 32kg, 6 litre fuel tank, 54/59 db, 10.4 a, 2.0 kva

Decisions are never easy, but the advice here has been well worth the reading in the past.

Laurie :thumbsup:

Laurie and Helen,

from memory, the 2.8 Yamaha doesn't have a standard casing and looks much bigger than the 2.4...although it's lighter.

Pete and Tracey,

the Honda will not run the aircon if the outside temperature is in the mid 40's. The aircon just draws too much; after about 15 minutes the generator conks out. We think they have a sensitive sensor which turns them off. Under normal heating conditions our Honda was running fine - but when it got above 45 degrees outside, nothing we did could persuade the Honda to run after the initial 15 minutes. The Honda manual will confirm that this will be so. We had our unit tested drawing a full load and it worked just fine. But put it in high temperature environments and no go. Others report the same thing. So the Yamaha it is.

Chris

Hi Chris,

We have heard as much and have not tested it in 45 degree heat yet. The guys at The Generator Shop suggest to drape a wet hessian bag over the generator as it runs in high temps. The theory goes, and sounds feasible, is that as the air is drawn in around the unit it is cooled. Much the same as the water bags you see sometimes on peoples bullbars cools the water within.

Once again, theory. I have no personal experience yet. Can't hurt giving it a go though!

Interested to see what other peoples opinions and/or experiences are.

Might just rip the slide out of the boot and get a Yamaha anyway.

Laurie and Helen,

yes, I realised after looking at the specs that it was smaller. Val thinks (he's the one with the technical way of looking at things) that the lack of a case would be a drawback. Perhaps that's why it's a bit noisier?

Anyway, along with CVtripper, we rarely need to use one - it was rare situations where we needed the aircon (Keep River NP in October; Mt Isa bushcamp in December) and the Honda just would not cope. We tried everything - including putting it up on a block to get it away from the hot ground etc.

Most people probably don't travel in the heat like we did and so it's not an issue.

Incidentally, we bought the Yamaha 2400 from someone in Adelaide, who advertised on another caravan forum...he had bought it in Darwin but never used it!

Chris

Chris,

I'm not buying one yet either, not really sure we need it but than again didn't have as many gadgets in the old van. When and if I do, it will most likely be the 2.8 though.

Off the topic, good write up in the latest C&M of the van.

Laurie :thumbsup:

Ah, is there?! Really? We have the magazine delivered but haven't seen it yet.

Chris

Thanks to everyone for your helpful replies.

We will go with the 4 solar panel/battery and probably the 2.4 or 2.8 yamaha. Reading through the forums we see we have a lot to learn in a short time, and as our van will be due for delivery in November we hope to get it right.

We now have to decide if we need the diesel heater and many other options available.

Thanks again for your input - this forum is an invaluable learning tool.

Pete & Lyn :thumbsup:

Gilly, ah now you have introduced the different topic of a diesel heater. They are wonderful! You should have one if you intend travelling in cold weather or feel the cold.

A capacity to heat the van quickly and efficiently means you can stay camped in freezing weather and extend your bush camping. There have been times before we had the heater, we have had to leave a camp spot because it was so cold, and move to a caravan park with power to run the aircon on heat cycle. No longer, as the Dometic heats really quickly and draws very little power.

Chris

PS Laurie and Helen, thanks for the heads up re the mag article.

Thanks Chris,

We added the diesel heater on our visit to the factory on Wednesday - I'm one that feels the cold so I think this is a must. We also added the extra solar panel & battery - originally, we only ordered 3, so now have gone for 4 of each.

Thanks again :smile:

Pete & Lyn

Chris,

Not a problem and yes we are putting a heater in our new van as well. We had a portable gas heater in the old van but it didn't cut the mustard when we were down in Tassie.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Gilly, and Laurie and Helen,

I am glad the information was helpful.

Chris