Defrosting Fridge

Neville and Kay

Hi Neville and Kay

We have a separate switch (circuit breaker)in the front boot for the fridge. It is behind the 12v - 240v switch in ours.

Hope this is useful

regards

Chris

I have seen this subject before and I don`t understand the issue with not turning of the fridge via the thermostat switch!! We have had our current van for nearly 4 years and have always turned of at the switch for defrosting and with no problems.It actually has an off position on the switch.

I have seen this subject before and I don`t understand the issue with not turning of the fridge via the thermostat switch!! We have had our current van for nearly 4 years and have always turned of at the switch for defrosting and with no problems.It actually has an off position on the switch.

Because when we turn the thermostat right to the bottom it does not turn our fridge off....

Our Vitro is nearly 9 years old.. maybe the new ones are different...

Turn the switch harder. Does the light go off. We took some time to work it out. We have a coolmatic in a 2002 XC. Cheers Rod and Judy.

No the light does not go out.. it does not turn off. Learned this years ago. No sweat though.. not hard to open the cupboard and remove the plug.

Hi,

Just wondering about the fridge plug in the cupboard?? I would prefer to switch my fridge off, some other way than the thermostat, if I can. I have had a look in the cupboard, but can't see any obvious plug to the fridge. You wouldn't have a photo would you?? I have an XC2, 2006 model, so maybe it doesn't have one!!

Thanks

Jeff

Hi,

Just wondering about the fridge plug in the cupboard?? I would prefer to switch my fridge off, some other way than the thermostat, if I can. I have had a look in the cupboard, but can't see any obvious plug to the fridge. You wouldn't have a photo would you?? I have an XC2, 2006 model, so maybe it doesn't have one!!

Thanks

Jeff

Our van is 2003 XC - Has been my experience that things are set up a lot differently in a lot of vans though.

Hope this is of some value to you.

forumpicutre.jpg

We always turn the Vitro off at the thermostat in our 4.5 yo ATV. The light does not go out so when not in use we remove the globe. We don’t have a plug, that is not normal for a 12 volt appliance. Maybe there has been a change over the years.

Robert & Jane Jones

Hi All

I also have always turned my vitro 210lt fridge off at the thermostat on my 4 year old Topender, the light also remains on, so I have always left the Fridge & freezer doors just ajar to allow them to breath which also turns the light off.

The fridge has always been excellent operationally in all types of weather.

cheers

David

Hi

We turn our Vitro off at the thermostat. The light in the fridge is operated by a magnetic switch which is on the body of the fridge, and the magnet is on the door.

By using a small but powerful magnet (as in computer hard drives!!) which is placed on the switch and held in place by a piece of tape, the switch can be turned off and presto, the light in the fridge goes out, allowing the door to be left open when the fridge is not being used.

Bas

Hi,

In our 2 1/2 year old ATV we just keep it simple as per David Hunt. Turn the Vitro off at the thermostat and place towels in the doors to keep them slightly ajar to provide air flow. The light is then off.

Hi all,

I too just turn the fridge off at the thermostate, touch wood havent had a problem.....yet?

It is a very simple procedure to remove the light cover (just wriggle cover gently being careful not to break the plastic pins) & then the globe. I then place the globe in the inverted light cover & sit it in one of the door shelves..... easy :D

Hi Nev & Kay

We have a 2006 XC and we have a 12v plug above the fridge in a small cupboard. There is also a twin 240v power point which we have no idea how we could possibly use it given that its on the back wall and nowhwere near any appliance.The plethora of 240 plugs in our van caters for all our 240 needs plus some!We always just remove the plug and no worries about the light or any trickle of power through the fridge wiring.

Geoff