100 Series Suspension Heeeeeeelp

Rod and Mavis

Hi all.

I need some big time help with my 100 series IFS without the smart cracks about swapping for a 200 series (David) This is not an option.

I have a machine that needs desperately to have a lift to accomodate the weight that we carry permenantly in the back. With an improvement to the stability that to date has been pretty sad.

Can anyone recomend a mob that will do the right thing by us in Brisbane area.

Have had suggestions from so called experts that don't add up to a fix from my experience and limited knowledge.

We need a slight lift in the front and support for the permenant weight that is carried in the back along with the van draw bar weight.

Heeeeeeelp please.

Yours truly in frustration.

Rod and Mavis. :confused:

Hi Rod & Mavis, :thumbsup:

I installed lift kit in our 100 series and I used (don't laugh) KING SPRINGS. 40mm in the front and 50mm rear to allow for the extra weight carried in the car and also when the van is in tow. I also installed GABRIEL SHOCKS - BLUE RYDERS. The ride is good when the van isn't attached, and is great when the van is connected. It tracks and rides well and the van sits level. I hope this may help

Regards,

Alan & Rhonda King :Australia:

Hi Rod & Mavis,

We had your same problem with our TD100 IFS Cruiser. We have rear drawers, a long range fuel tank, rear wheel carrier and quite a heavy ball weight from the van, which resulted in a very saggy rear end.

We firstly changed the rear coil springs to OME 864's together with 40mm big bore shock obsorbers from TJM. (If I was to do this again, I would probably go for OME shocks).

This resulted in quite a big lift to the rear, which gave the Cruiser a "sniffing dog" look. We also replaced the torsion bar for an OME stronger bar and rather than risk winding this up to raise the front end (which creates stress on the CV joints) we opted for a diff drop which was performed by Superior Engineering at Warner (not too far from the Kedron factory).

I can highly recommend ARB Southside for the suspension work as I was not happy with the service of ARB Northside. Superior Engineering charged $515 for the diff drop and did an excellent job.

I would also recommend when exchanging the torsion bar, you have ARB fit strengthening brackets on the control arms, as this has been known to be a weak point with the IFS Cruisers in the past.

Before we left Brisbane last week, we noticed a small amount of oil leakage from one of the CV joints so took the Cruiser to Hycraft at Clontarf where they replaced the standard clamps for heavy duty clamps, solving this issue.

Lastly, if you do any adjustments to the suspension and diff drop, you will need to have your headlights re-adjusted so the beam is not blinding oncoming traffic.

I guess another option might be air bags, and perhaps someone else might be able to give their views on this as we opted not to go down that path.

We have noticed considerable improvement in the handling of the Cruiser since having the diff drop done, so we are very happy with everything. .....poorer....but happier.....

Hope this helps. You can have a look at the work when we meet up at Mitta Mitta if you like.

Thanks Guy's

Will get to work now and talk to all concerned and make a decision ASAP.

Thank you all again for the input

Mavis and Rod.

Hi there Rod and Mavis

We have a 1998 100series wirh 310000km on th clock.

Before our recent trip with out ATV for two, we had the suspension replaced and airbags fitted to the rear. The work was done by Northside 4X4 (ARB agents) near the airport up at Caboulture. Very satisfied with the service and product. :thumbsup:

Peter

(ATV42)

I would second that. Mark is excellent and knows what he is talking about. However I got the best deal by denying any knowledge of, or association with Blackie and his Nissan.

:laugh: Just kidding Shane. Your name always brings a smile to his face.

Greetings all

Thanks again for all the input.

Looks like we will be going with ARB for the suspension work after much fact finding and research. This will be followed by a diff drop from Superior Engineering, a mob of blokes that are into some serious off road vehicles. (Not that our machine would ever make a serious off roader ) but they know what they are talking about (I hope).

Fingers crossed that the expence will make the beasty handle a lot better than it does now.

I would like to thank both Blackie and David for not making the expected comments of 1/ Get another Nissan and 2/ Get a 200 grin.

Again thanks and we will keep you posted as to the results. Hopefully the work will be completed late next week.

Mavis and Rod.

Hi Rod & Mavis, Kingston here Deb & I haven't done anything yet with our 100 series but when the suspension does finally pack it in I'm going to put the same suspension that i got on my 80 series which was heavy duty springs and LTR Shockies, They are air adjustable and have a separate oil cannister to help keep the shockie cooler when it's working hard on rough roads. These shocks aren't cheap but we did alot of rough roads in the 80 and the ride comfort was brilliant. I get all my modifications done at ARB Southside. Mark Lacey is the owner & last time i was in Mark Pearson was the Manager tell them i sent you. :thumbsup:

Many thanks to all those who had input to our question.

We have decided to go with ARB southside after much research and questioning in many areas.

Besides they are in total fear of the threat from Blackie to burn their shop down not to do the right thing by us.

The mods will be done next Tuesday.

We did not want to raise the beast only restore the original clearance compensating for the permenant weight increase due to the full time loads that we carry plus the van.

The deal is for standard height +400kg rear OME springs new HD OME shocks front and back the back to have stone guards, HD torsion bar on the front end with reinforcing bracket They will refit the Airbags (currently fitted)to the rear coils. A wheel alignment is done after the mods.

The price for all of this is $200 cheaper than ARB northside (Many thanks Shane keep em guessing my son grin).

What a great service. As we were signing up for the deal Mark Pearson the manager who had been busy in a meeting came out and introduced himself (we had spoken at length on the phone previously). He made a short phone call to a customer that had just left the shop asking if he would come back and take us for a run in his machine, same model that has had the same mods done some time ago and he did. Must say the difference was impressive can't wait.

Just got the bus back today from AMMS where we had a full service and a 3" exhaust fitted. Can thoroughly recommend them a most professonal mob to deal with. ( Met Glen a fellow kedron owner and principal of AMMS today,great bloke and he is hoping to make it to Crows Nest with the family.

Enough rambling for now.

Happy travels to all.

Mita Mita here we come.

Regards from.

Mavis and Rod.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

We have done the deed and had the suspension upgrade done by ARB Southside Brisbane last Tuesday.

Gotta say WOW.

Took the machine for a run today with full normal load and 4 adults up to the Sunshine coast.

Did about 350 kilometers through the hills.

Can't believe the difference it now goes where it is pointed and sits beautifully on the road.

All we now need to do is see how the 3 inch exhaust mod has effected the pulling power with the van hooked up.

Will be setting up the hitch tomorrow because the car now sits at a standard height with the permanent loads that we carry.

Thanks heaps to those that recommended Southside ARB.