HN6

RickA

G`Day All

Is there anybody out there using a Hema HN6,if so what are your comments and thoughts on its use and capabilities.

Thanks in anticipation. :unsure:

Cheers

Lea

Hi Rick

We have thwe older model i think that it is an HN5 and its great and we had one small problem when new in that the battery for some reason would not hold a charge they just replaced the unit.

The only small point is that when driving it does not have the option of showing north up, not a big one and you do get used to it.

Regards

Reece

• 1 month later...

Lea & Rick,

I have the Hema HNi5 which I have found to be great. I use it almost exclusively on topographic maps. Gayleen, thinks she is a better navigator than Matthew Flinders so she has the newer model, the HNi6. At least, having her own, stops her for reaching over and screwing mine around so that she can SE it!!

They are not cheap, but, we love them. Mine has Camps 6 in it. Gayleen's has Camps 6 and all the Caravan Parks as well.

Regards

Colin

Rick and Colin, what is this gadget? It sounds great. Is it a Navigator like Navman or Tom Tom?

Chris

Hi Chris,

Yes, both are GPS navigators put out by HEMA, the map people. They provide both street navigation, just like a Navman or Tom Tom. In addition they provide navigation on the 1: 250,000 topographical maps. Both contain all the Camps 6 camp spots and the newer version, the HNi6, also has all the caravan parks in it as well. There is many more functions such as setting way points and so on. Chris, the best bet is to duck into an ARB store and get a demo.

They are not cheap being around $600 to $700 or there abouts.

The disadvantage of the Navman type of street navigator is that they are not much use in the bush. Mostly they just display a straight line vertically across the display with a voice command which says, for example, "proceed straight ahead for 250 kilometers and then trun left". So, using the HEMA topographical maps out there is just great. The device also lays a breadcrumb trail so you can always turn around and follow your exact track back out. But we fellows never get lost, do we?

Hope this helps explain.

Regards

Colin

Colin,

that is indeed useful. We once had something similar but it was a long time ago and the technology would not be anywhere near as flash as this sounds. I will have a look for an ARB store.

Chris

Hi Guys

I can add my endorsement to this product. I bought the HN6 just a month ago, and I love it already. I'm using primarily the topo maps at the moment as we are puttering around the SW QLD backblocks. I hope to find out how well the iGO (street by street) navigation software works when we head back to Brissie (sigh!!) (:

Chris, make sure ARB give you a good demo of both the iGO and EzyOzi (cut down version of OziExplorer), and also take you through the settings of both briefly. It's worth the time because in places the User Guide and User Manual are not very clear. Hema have separate manuals for the 2 different pieces of navigation software.

Enjoy

Cheers

Lea

Hi Guys

I can add my endorsement to this product. I bought the HN6 just a month ago, and I love it already. I'm using primarily the topo maps at the moment as we are puttering around the SW QLD backblocks. I hope to find out how well the iGO (street by street) navigation software works when we head back to Brissie (sigh!!) (:

Chris, make sure ARB give you a good demo of both the iGO and EzyOzi (cut down version of OziExplorer), and also take you through the settings of both briefly. It's worth the time because in places the User Guide and User Manual are not very clear. Hema have separate manuals for the 2 different pieces of navigation software.

Enjoy

Cheers

Lea

Lea, if it is all too hard I will come to you for advice. You have always been one of my ports of call on all things technical. :)

Chris

Hi All,

We use the Polaris NG7200 with the Off Road and city mapping systems installed. The added benefit is that you don't have another system hanging of your windscreen. The off road system has access to all the latest Oz explorer computer packages and HEMA maps. After just travelling to Darwin via Birdsville and the Savannah Way using as many back roads as possible it was invaluable when we were in the back of the old Duchess mine and no signs when you come to an intersection also in at Lorella Springs to get back to the campground after going touring on the station using the tracking system to backtrack our path a few times. Think it cost around $195 to have it installed on the SD card.

cheers

Hi Chris,

The disadvantage of the Navman type of street navigator is that they are not much use in the bush. Mostly they just display a straight line vertically across the display with a voice command which says, for example, "proceed straight ahead for 250 kilometers and then trun left". So, using the HEMA topographical maps out there is just great. The device also lays a breadcrumb trail so you can always turn around and follow your exact track back out. But we fellows never get lost, do we?

Hope this helps explain.

Regards

Colin

My Navman works well running my set of Hema maps taking me all over the country by auto changing to the appropriate Hema map at the GPS pointer, presumeably just as a Hema GPS does.

Cheers

John

Hi John,

My comment was really about straight street type GPS navigators, as opposed to navigators that also provide topographical map option, being not much use out in the bush. Frankly, I did not know that Navman now provided a topo map option. My point is that any navigator that provides the topo option as well as the street option, is the way to go.

Regards

Colin