Red dust stains

reece

Hi Reece

1 part Truckwash ,3 parts Elbow grease. :lol:

But seriously. I used a spray bottle with about 1 part Truckwash and 3 parts water. Spray all the effected area and let stand for a couple of hours (over night if you can) then scrub with stiff brush (that`s where the elbow grease comes in) and wash off with water. It`s even better if you have access to a pressure washer.May have to do it twice. Good luck.

Cheers

Rick

Hello Reece,

CT18 Superwash (probably what Rick is referring to) applied as Rick says. Also, Diggers Rust and Stain Remover (from Bunnings) is excellent. It is oxalic acid based so plently of water when you wash it off. They both do the trick.

Regards

Colin

Hi Reece. We have just completed the Savannha way and the Gibb river road in September. Luckly we had no rain at all but the red dust stain was all over the van. Tried the pressure cleaner but it would not remove all of it. Was reluctant in using the Diggers rust and stain remover as it has oxalic acid in it. Tried a little on the chassis with a small scrumbing brush and very little effort made it come back like new. I used plenty of water to wash it off. A 2kg bottle bought from Bunnings $29.95.I think I mixed 100grams to 1 litre of water and sprayed it on. I asked the people on the forum about the red stains around the windows and someone suggested toothpaste. I have not tried this as yet, let me know if the toothpaste works.I used truck wash, a toothbush and a lot of elbow grease on the outside of the van to bring it back to new again and aluminium polish on the checker plate. Hope this helps. Richard.

I am going to step outside of the Keddy right now and take a GOOD look at our chassis because after living in the Pilbara for most of its' life and having been towed around the Savannah Way and GRR during this last year I can't say I have noticed that it is covered in red dust. Hmmmm.... I am thinking that after living up here for so long I might be becoming oblivious to it! :rolleyes:

Will my attitude change once we finally settle down in Geraldton? :lol:

Cheers all

Sue

Hi Reece

Another vote for the the Diggers Stain & Rust remover. I used it on the checker plate & just the front of the chassis after our trip to the west in 2011.

All areas came up beautifully with the dull red Pilbara stain gone.

I couldn't be bothered with the rest of the chassis - 1 it's back breaking work & 2 it all depends on how fussy you want to be.

Just be sure to rinse thoroughly like Richard mentioned.

Hi Sue,

yep, I think you've got dust in your eyes...lol.

once you put your lovely van next to some of those somewhat non off roaders, you'll probably want a cleaner unit :-)

After a while, you may want some shine other than the dullness from the Pilbara dust on the checker plate :-)

Happy travels when you finally get away from that area.

mmmm Geraldton, that'll be a nice sea change from Karatha.

cheers

Sue

Happy New Year Everybody :) ,

I have been trying unsuccessfuly to Find Diggers Rust & Stain remover at our local Bunnings and their staff do not seem to know the product.

Could someone please tell me what section in Bunnings I might be able to find it, so that I can look in a larger store?

Thanks & regards,

JK.

Jk,

If they have it it will be in building supplies and not cleaning supplies section. It is used to clean cement, timber etc and is often used by plumbers, I believe. If you have trouble go online and have it delivered. Other hardware stores would be worth a try.

Regards

Colin

Hi JK. If you go to the speical orders desk at Bunnings and ask them they should be able to order some in. I got mine in the painting / outdors cleaning area it was in the section for cleaning down timber and cement here in Townsville. Richard.

I am going to step outside of the Keddy right now and take a GOOD look at our chassis because after living in the Pilbara for most of its' life and having been towed around the Savannah Way and GRR during this last year I can't say I have noticed that it is covered in red dust. Hmmmm.... I am thinking that after living up here for so long I might be becoming oblivious to it! :rolleyes:

Will my attitude change once we finally settle down in Geraldton? :lol:

Cheers all

Sue

A bit of red dust adds character, have you looked at the roof, surely no-one gets up there scrubbing!

Cheers

John