Esperance info required

Steve and Kez

Happy New Year fellow Koggers,

Kerry and I will be heading from Alice to Perth next week and want to squeeze in a week at Esperance before we have to go to Perth then onto Darwin for work. We would like some recommendations on where to stay and what to see to make the most of the 1 week we will be there for.

Your assistance will be appreciated

Hi Steve & Kez

how's temps in Alice atm? You'll hopefully find a huge difference when you get to Esperance.

We were there in Nov 2011. The whole area is really pretty.

I can't recommend a van park unfortunately, but avoid the Acclaim Pine Grove if you can. It's on the main road from Noresman & 100's of grain trucks pass through there from 0530 - 2200 going to the port that's on the western side of the bay :( Although it was harvesting season, things may have changed for now.

The park is beautifully grassed though. I've also read on another van forum that the van park overlooking the shore line is rather squeezy & you're on dirt & folks giving the thumbs down for that reason.

Will it still be school holidays when you get there, 'cos you may have to book ahead?

As for Esperence itself...we loved it. The Lake outside town is lovely to visit.

Esperence is noted for having some fantastic beaches. The "Ocean Drive" is a must do. Take your time & take your swimmers with you if you can. Start from the Lookout over town & you'll know what I mean when you view the many beach coves to the west from up there.

Another great place to visit is Cape Le Grand. You may have trouble getting in there during the school hols & w/e as well, but it is well worth the stay for a few days. We stayed @ Lucky Bay, but some other folks may say the other camp ground as it's more secluded - it depends on your likes.

I hope you love your visit to the southern shores of WA. We loved it all.

cheers

Sue

post-1061-0-39614900-1357427948_thumb.jp

post-1061-0-92170000-1357428059_thumb.jp

Thank you RodnSue,

The temps up here have been a consistent 40-44 so we are looking forward to a sea breeze. We just had a week in Tassie for New Year and froze our butts off as it was only 20-25.

We finish work here on Tues and we then head down as quick as we can. We are aware that it wont be a good time with the school hols but we dont have a choice as we start our new jobs on the 28 Jan in Balgo WA, just near Halls Creek (360kms away) in the Great Sandy Desert.

Thanks for the info, it is much appreciated

Hi Steve,

What are you guys doing in Balgo?????? I left there about 20 months ago after a VERY enjoyable 8 month stay there...... I'm sooooo envious!!!

Hi Tony,

We are starting new jobs with a company called Outback Stores who run the community stores in about 40 aboriginal communities. www.outbackstores.com.au

We go to Darwin for a weeks induction and then onto Balgo for 3-6 months training. We are going to be doing relief management so we will be doing Fly in Fly out on the mail planes around all the communities. We will be in each community for 2-8 weeks at a time.

We are really looking forward to learning some of the aboriginal culture and seeing some remarkable scenery that most people don't get to see as we move around. The only down side is that we have to store our car and van as we cant take it with us.

Cheers

Hi,

I know of Outback Stores very well..... not that I have worked for them, but I formed a very good relationship with the couple who were managing the Balgo store when I was there I will PM u their phone number & you can contact them.... if.... you wish to get the current 'guff' on outback stores.... definately not being negative as my friends still work for them (they are currently at Beswick NT)..... but it will be a little bit of inside info ..... if ur interested.

How I wish I was back at Balgo it is such a beautiful place.... I really do miss it & there is SO much to see in the area Balgo (the pound) Mulan (Handover... Lake Gregory), Billiluna (CSR & Wolff Creek Crater) I know working for OS you wont get much time off to yourselves for sight seeing..... but you will have a ball..... or at least an education from the locals ha ha. Easter at Balgo is special.... dont know your religion but the community is Catholic (Im C of E)but dont let that stop you from attending 'church' it reaaly is an experiance.... if ur that way inclinded or are interested in seeing it done a LITTLE differently.... brings back soooo many wonderful memories.

I will PM my phone number as well if you wish contact me & I will give you a couple of contacts in the community.

Did I say I was envious :rolleyes:

You are going to have to give regular updates on your experiances here on this website..... PLEASE ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Steve & Kez,

Hope you have a great time, about 100 km west of Esperance is a place called Munglinup Beach go past the caravan park on the dirt road and camp at the beach $10/night but well worth it. We spent Christmas and a few days either side. We couldn't stay in Esperance at the time as they had nowhere to stay if you had a pet. A few other spots on the way would be the 38km marker just before the SA/WA border out on the cliffs, Newman Rocks east of Fraser Range. We were going to do the dirt from Esperance to Balladonia but were advised against it by one of the local 4WD guys I talked with in Esperance, not because the road conditions but the track was that narrow and overgrown near the shire boundaries that you would do a reasonable amount of damage to the van and tow vehicle. Dundas Rocks south of Noresman is also a good site.

cheers

Thank you all for your information,

We have enjoyed all the recommendation we could manage and are now in Perth getting the van and ute ready for storeage :( before we head off for our new employment.

hello Steve and Kez,

I know this is not the place to be commercial but, in this case, I may be helping a fellow KOG member. We are in the recruitment business and we are probably the biggest supplier of people into all the A&TSI communities on the Cape and around the Gulf. We occasionally do a bit in WA and NT. We supply professional people mainly CEO's , CFO's, accountants, store managers etc., So, if you like working with the communities.....

Regards

Colin