Top Ender GVM Upgrade

Tolley

Hello,

LMy caravan is registered in Queensland, the State that wins a vast majority of State of Origin games! As I am now towing with a Chev Silverado I asked Kedron to upgrade the van GVM to 3950 kg just to give me a greater weight margin and hence remain legal. The van has been re-plated to 3950 kg. The TOp Ender suspension is rated for a 4000 kg trailer.

As a consequence, there is now a need to have the caravan inspected annually for registration purposes. This surprises me as I thougt that caravans under 4000 kg GVM were exempt from such inspections.

Does anyone have further knowledge on this matter?

Regards

Colin

We had our Van up graded to 4 ton 2 years ago & found out because we live in a remote area [Cooktown] we do not have to go for inspection each year. Prior to finding this out we were told when you get new Rego. go to the authority in the state you are in if not [Qld] & phone Qld. Transport & they will give that state a Number for the inspection & it is to be returned to Qld. before the due date. We had spent three quarters of an hour on the phone to Qld. Transport who at first said we had to be in State to do Rego. then another Dept. said about ringing & getting number for other states to do inspection, then when they realised we are Cooktown based they said for get it & it will be reviewed every 4 yrs.

Neville

Wait till you move to NSW, the forward-looking state that will win future State of Origins and AFL finals! The threshold here is 2,500kg.

Regards, Andrew

Hello Andrew,

At least for a while we will still,own our businesses in Cairns and Townsville. The business own our vehicles and the caravan. Therefore they remain registered in the Statecthat wins the vast majority of State of Origin matches. LOL.

Colin

Hello,

I had a conversation with a very knowledgeable lady from Queensland Transport. Here are the facts as they relate to Queensland.

1. A heavy vehicle is a vehicle of 4500kg GVM or greater.

2. Heavy vehicles require and annual inspection.

3. My caravan has been replated at 3950kg. It is therefore not classed as a heavy vehicle and therefore is does not require annual inspections.

4. If a vehicle, any vehicle, has a change of particulars, such as replating with an increased GVM but not exceeding 4500 kg GVM, it is required to be inspected once by the department to confirm it is safe. Once inspected and accepted, there are no further inspections.

Regards

Colin

Hi Colin

As you know we had our van done as well earlier this year and when the rego was due in September, it came with a certificate of inspection that had to be completed by an authorised inspection station and then included with the paperwork for renewal. This meant we couldn't pay online and had to attend the DMR office.

Hope this info doesn't just relate to you cause you are in FNQ.

Cathy and Greg

Hi Colin

As you know we had our van done as well earlier this year and when the rego was due in September, it came with a certificate of inspection that had to be completed by an authorised inspection station and then included with the paperwork for renewal. This meant we couldn't pay online and had to attend the DMR office.

Hope this info doesn't just relate to you cause you are in FNQ.

Cathy and Greg

G'day Greg and Cathy,

No, it has nothing to do with FNQ. In fact, I am in NSW and advised that I would be in Qld by Monday. Hence they gave me, at my request, Maryborough as a convienient place to have the one off inspection done next Monday.

My contact at Qld Transport, Susie, is not known to me but she was full bottle on the subject. Incidentally, before calling them I had done a thorough search on their website and had come to the same conclusions as Susie advised me this afternoon. I have her name and ID number if you want to talk to her.

Nowhere on theor website that I could find does it say that an annual inspection is necessary for vehicles under 4500 kg GVM. If you can find contrary info please let me know.

Kindest regards, colin

Hi Colin,

In Queensland any trailer or caravan with private registration and an ATM of 3,501-10,000kg requires an annual inspection from any approved inspection station, it is not necessary to have that inspection completed at a QLD transport inspection station.

The link to QLD Transport Cathy put up confirms this if you scroll down to trailers.

I also found a web site for a private inspection company, link attached confirming same.
/>http://www.mobilesafetyinspections.com.au/index.php?page=certificates-of-inspection

Kedron should have advised you of this requirement at the time of the upgrade, I'm not surprised if they didn't though :angry:

Proof of completed inspection is required to be presented when making payment, which means payment is required to be made at a QLD transport office or by mail, no more internet payments for you now I'm afraid.

Hi Colin

My van is plated in QLD @ 3700kg's and definitely required an annual heavy vehicle inspection. It is such a pain that I am having it re plated @ 3500kg's(the max weight allowed in QLD). My last inspection had to be done in MtIsa on the way to the Gulf and cape. It was a drama that I will not go through again.

Looking into this subject, I located a form that has to be completed but on it is mention of over 4.5t. See -
/>http://www.support.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/formsdat.nsf/forms/QF4550/$file/F4550_ES.pdf

And this - http://www.qld.gov.au/transport/registration/register/caravan/index.html

and -

'From 1 October, registration labels will no longer be required for light caravans and trailers if your vehicle's aggregate trailer mass (ATM) is not more than 4.5 tonne.'

I agree it is confusing !!

Edit: looks like it does need a COI, Colin - according to above posts and to this - http://www.qld.gov.au/transport/buying/vehicleinspection/periodicinspection/about/index.html

Hi Ann

If your vehicles are not privately registrated they will require a label. Ours will be sporting labels. Did you also know the tolls are charged at commercial rates.

Jewel

Hi Ann

If your vehicles are not privately registrated they will require a label. Ours will be sporting labels. Did you also know the tolls are charged at commercial rates.

Jewel

Hi Jewel,

The quote was taken from the link but what you are saying is if the vehicle/van is in a company/business name (ie: not private individual) you must have a label - is that right?

Cheers

Hello Everyone,,

Well, it is confusing. My information came from a Qld Transport official who works in this area. So, I believed her to be correct. Tomorrow, Monday, I will be at a Qld Transport inspection facility and I will discover what their interpretation makes of it.

I will advise the result on this site.

Regards

Colin

Hold on!!!

Dept Transport have contacted me and now the story is different. They, their Finance Dept, are saying and inspection IS needed. Sheesh!! Having been told that's that is not the case by two of their staff, another staff member says something different.

I really am sick of being stuffed around with this. All I want to do is to get the van registered and legal.

Colin

Hang in there Colin. We had the same runaround with NSW Transport when we brought our TE down from Qld. Different answers every time we phoned. We also got screwed over by the heavy vehicle inspection company with a whole lot of unnecessary rubbish during the inspection (put us through the same process as a B-Double - took half a day including weighbridge time).

Ours was resolved very quickly and easily when we finally visited the motor registry on arrival in Sydney. They told us never to use the call centre as most of the staff there have never worked in a Registry and have no idea! I'm sure you're close to finding the truth. Better to get it correctly sorted now than be unsure or caught out later.

Best regards, Andrew.

Hello Mayzee,

Life might be "Cruisy " in a Cruiser, but it gets "Stressy" once you hook a van on

Mayzee, this is all about the van, not the Chevy. Incidentally, I am absolutely converted due to the relaxed towing experience the Silverado provides.

On the matter of bum steers from Qld Transport. About a week ago I persevered on the telephone to QT and eventually spoke to Susie in the Compliance section. She categorically advised that all that was required was an inspection of the van essentially looking at the new plate and no further annual inspections.

Yesterday, I was the first customer in the queue at Maryborough QT Service Centre. I explained the whole situation again to the lady behind the counter and she advised me the same. A quick look by them at the plate, fill in a form, no charges involved and no requirement for annual inspections. The Supervisor of the Customer Service section then accompanied me outside to the van. She did the inspection. Gayleen and I then stood there with her and told her the whole story. She categorically stated that there was no need for annual inspections, that she would go back inside and enter the change of details on the van and from then on everything would be normal, ie., annual issue of registration renewal,no stickers and no annual inspections.

So, off I went. A happy Chappy. Then our company accountant called (the van is owned by our company) saying she had received a call from QT saying the van was unregistered. She gave me a QT number to call urgently. I did call and spoke to Joy who gave me a totally different story. Annual inspections etc. she organised an extension for me to the end of next week to allow me to legally take the van on the road to get home and then to have it inspected in Cairns next week.

I must say that despite the annoying confusion in QT the people have been very friendly and helpful. I just wish they all sang from the same song sheet.

So, there you go. As someone wrote in this thread "very confusingly" and that is true. However, the confusion is generated by QT.

Regards

Colin