Diesel Heater

Tolley

Hello,

Just a general point re diesel heaters.

Towards the end of last year's Outback Way trip my wonderful diesel heater started spluttering, belching, producing large quantities of blue smoke and not working. Had it serviced a couple of weeks ago and the technician reported he had to remove a large portion of the Great Victoria Desert.

He pointed out that the air intake sucks in large quantise of air and, being located close to the ground, also sucks in large quantities of dust.

I am going to carry an air intake extension just to lift the intake position up near the centre of the spare wheel. Bit like a snorkel.

Regards

Colin

Hello,

Just a general point re diesel heaters.

Towards the end of last year's Outback Way trip my wonderful diesel heater started spluttering, belching, producing large quantities of blue smoke and not working. Had it serviced a couple of weeks ago and the technician reported he had to remove a large portion of the Great Victoria Desert.

He pointed out that the air intake sucks in large quantise of air and, being located close to the ground, also sucks in large quantities of dust.

I am going to carry an air intake extension just to lift the intake position up near the centre of the spare wheel. Bit like a snorkel.

Regards

Colin

Hi Colin, If you go to Jenkins Rubber Shop, in Aumuller St , they can sell you 2 rubber bungs that will fit neatly into the air intake and exhaust of the heater. We leave ours in place when not in use and put them in if travelling on dirt roads. I have used a small drill to put a hole through the middle of the bung and then put a wire trace through there and attached the other end to the van so they don't go walk about. This also means no bugs can nest in either tube and no dust can enter. I have just bent the air intake so that it is level with the ground. Normally it is facing down so any dust that accumulates in there will fall out.

Just have to remember to remove them when you want to use the heater.

Safe travels

Den and Col

post-1076-0-06669200-1392115155_thumb.jp

post-1076-0-41754500-1392115215_thumb.jp

post-1076-0-12022000-1392115190_thumb.jp

Thanks for the "heads up" Colin.

I have always put a plug in the exhaust outlet but never the intake. I never really gave the dust a thought, the reason I did it was to stop wasps.

Thanks for the info

Hi Col and Steve,

Thank you for your posts. I always have plugs in the heater air intake and exhaust pipes when it is not in use for all the obvious reasons. However, the point I wished to make was that according to the technician, the air intake sucks up dust in certain circumstances when it is running. Hence my idea of a snorkel type air intake extension.

Col and Den, I gather you are nearing Cairns. Give me a call if you have a little spare time. It would be good to catch up.

Regards

Colin

Two questions:

1. Has anyone that has used the bungs ever had any troubles with the heater not starting, i.e. white smoke?

2. Has anyone installed the air intake silencer? I believe there is one available that will quieten down the external noise generated.

We run our heater for about 30 mins. once a month flat out. Since initial problems about 5 yrs. ago it hasn`t missed a beat.The only"service" we give it ,is to check inlets and out lets before firing it up for its monthly run. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Rick & Lea

Two questions:

1. Has anyone that has used the bungs ever had any troubles with the heater not starting, i.e. white smoke?

2. Has anyone installed the air intake silencer? I believe there is one available that will quieten down the external noise generated.

Yes cvt, we installed the silencer on the intake. Val bought it online either from England or Turkey.... It recuces the noise considerably. As air goes into the foam sleeve and extends the intake, he thinks it reduces the sort of problem considerably.

Hello,

Rick and Lea have a good point. The technician who serviced the heater told me to regularly turn it on, turn it up and let it run for a good while. Great fun when you live in Cairns!!

Regards

Colin

Yes cvt, we installed the silencer on the intake. Val bought it online either from England or Turkey.... It recuces the noise considerably. As air goes into the foam sleeve and extends the intake, he thinks it reduces the sort of problem considerably.

CVT, Val says he hasn't checked it lately (I suspect that translates as 'never') but will do so when he services the van shortly.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

WE SELL THE COMBUSTION AIR SILENCERS THEY ARE A WEBASTO PRODUCT AND SELL FOR $25 PLUS POSTAGE , THEY REDUCE THE COMBUSTION AIR INTAKE NOISE AND ALSO STOP ANYTHING CRAWLING UP INSIDE THE PIPE

REGARDS GRAEME YOST

CONTACT 0418130971

post-1372-0-94188100-1394555949_thumb.jp

Hi to all following this post,

I saw Graeme's post above about being able to supply air intake 'silencers' for the Webasto heaters...... being a considerate person (some may disagree ......lol) I am only too aware of the noise the heater makes when operating, anything to quieten it down interests me. So I gave Graeme a call to make a general enquiry about price & availability. To my amazement he lives & operates out of Hobart which was very handy for me as we are currently touring in Tassie. Arrangements were made & Annie & I went around to his office/home to purchase one of these intake mufflers.

Graeme I believe has recently been appointed a distributor for Webasto, & he was only to keen to show me some of his stock holding of Webasto product. I made enquiries about pricing of various parts & kits & his pricing seemed very competitive. (Cheaper than eBay & your getting genuine product)

PLEASE NOTE I have NO affiliation with Graeme or his company, but I believe you could do a lot worse than.......... not contacting him 0418130971 with any enquiries or pricing on Webasto products or parts. :D

Hi all

this is what i have done with mine..air cleaner element should keep alll dirt out & not restrict the air flow...poly pipe fits snugly inside the air intake..i will slide inside 90mm pvc to stop any water or stone damage & attatch to cross member.

Cheers Danny

post-1052-0-29999700-1394743125_thumb.jp